Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard that a junkyard that I have visited several times will be crushing ALL the cars for scrap metal. There are approximately 2500 cars in the yard, and they are all from the 50's,60's and 70's!! The yard is located in Alamogordo,Nm. which is about 90 miles north of El Paso. I first went up there about a year and a half ago and I could not believe what was in there. Most of the popular cars are gone such as Mustangs and Camaros, but there are alot of Falcons,Fairlanes and Galaxies. Someone from Colorado bought the land, and they do not care about the cars and that is why they are going to scrap everything. There is going to be alot of nice cars destroyed.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
That's always the way it happens. The feds, developers and bankers won't be satisfied until everyone is driveing a jelly bean shaped compact, with more wires and computers than the space shuttle.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
More american muscle being crushed so we can have cars like the Daewoo Ticos.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Is it the scrap yard off of 82? I've never been there I just like to look for things on Google Earth, kinda like having your own private plane! Is that a big airport near there?
I agree that its a crime, especially since it is already out in the middle of nowhere! But since it is on a major highway and close to airports it becomes valuable for all of the global economy BS.
Maybe you could organize a pic and pull party to get some stuff for people. I could use a solid trunk pan for my 65 Gal.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
The airport that Chooch is talking about is probably Holloman Air Force Base as it is near by. This yard has not been open to the public since the mid 70's, so it was like time stood still. They opened it back up in 1999, but only for select people. You had to know the caretaker, and you had to have an appoitment to get in the yard. There are soooo many rust free Fords in the yard that it makes me sick thinking about them being crushed. There are also many more makes and models of cars in that yard that there probably aren't alot of anywhere else. Everytime I went in there I would find something new.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Scrap is at the highest prices ever! Look for more yards to scrap instead of selling parts. So the yards that don't scrap out will be asking astronomical prices for their parts.

Later!
Mr. Ed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are they letting people in there to buy parts or can I call someone to get in there and look around. I am from El Paso so it wouldn't be that far of drive.

Joe
63 S-22 Comet Conv.
joe daubach @ yahoo.com

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
The way I found out about it was the guys that are marking the cars for the crusher called me to try to sell me some 9" rear ends. I buy alot of them for narrowing and installation in other cars, and some one gave my number to them. They wanted $200.00 a piece for each of the 9" rears in the yard. I told them that the most I will pay is $75.00 as I get them from Mexico delivered for that price. I offered to pay $75.00 a piece for each of them (I needed 10 of them) but they said that they would rather get $20.00 a piece for scrap than to sell them to me for $75.00. I asked if I could get in and get some parts, but they said that they were already getting ready to crush the cars and that they did not need people walking around in their way. The weird thing I have run across is that I have offered good money for cars that are sold to scrap metal yards, but the yard owners put some outrageous price on them, but when no one buys them they crush them for peanuts anyway.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
There's a guy that looked there for a part for my Galaxie once that lives in AL I think but his job takes him to the area all the time. He's going to be upset for sure about that one if he hasn't heard the news!
I saw a truck full of crushed cars headed down the freeway today but wasn't close enough to catch what era.

·
Registered
129 Posts
One of the local yards I check in with from time to time told me that with scrap metal prices being at an all time high, they cycle the cars on a 30 day interval. Whatever is left after it has set for 30 days goes to the crusher.

They buy from police auctions is what the yardman told me and the inventory is always changing. All mid 80s and early 90s stuff. Even the prices seem higher lately.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I posted on here a while back about the local Mustang Graveyard having everything crushed & was basically accused of being a liar...One of the reasons I don't post much on here these days.

(My Galaxie narrowly escaped the same fate, it's in OC now with a new owner.)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well you don't have a pretty face, now do you?

Actually, you might. But how are we supposed to know?

Glad to hear someone coughed up the money for the galaxie.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Why is it when you offer a low price thats still more than scrap, they say no way and crush anyway? Makes no sense to me. 75 bucks is better than 20! Other thing that sucks too is I never had a chance to go in and look. I bet I could have got a few parts here and there for my cars.

1969 Mustang Mach 1 4spd 351W, (temp)302
1997 Cobra RIP 4V Motor
1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440+6 4spd
2002 SVT Lightning, K&N, Trac bars, 555Rs
1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 3spd, 3" of primer, ugly

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 19mach69 on 5/7/06 9:39pm ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts