Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color="blue">Today the Florida legislature unanimously passed a new bill that will become law on Oct.1,2002. HB1225, The motor vehicle racing contest bill, make street racing or, as they termed it "drag racing" a second degree misdemeanor. Punishable by 60days in county jail,$500 fine, vehicle impound for 30days and revokation of a drivers liscense for 1 year. That's for the 1st offense. This applies to the drivers and the spectators. While I agree that something needs to be done about these punk ass kids in their hondas and acuras, this definately isn't it. See for yourself www.leg.state.fl.us and type in HB1225 in the number box. So what do you think?</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That might be abit extreme, but I do believe something needs to be done. If any of you read or hear the Canadian news at all, especially Vancouver BC news, there is at least 2 deaths a week, yeah, a week, from Street Racing. And it's innocent bystanders. Blown54 and TomP, even Polar68 can vouch for this. Something has to be done in BC like they are doing there, the deterent they have now isnt enough. I used to street race when I was younger, luckily I didnt hurt any one, but my friends did. Someone just walked out in front of the cars, it was over so quick.
Last year, Mission Raceway held a Street only race night a few times a month, it kinda slowed down the street racing, until it closed for the season, now they race on the streets again, even during the winter here. Not cool.
There has even been a few tragic accidents here, so I just hope BC does something like that here.
Thanx for letting me talk.

Rick

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Sounds good to me ...

Do they differentate between "Racing" and "Exibition (of power and speed)" ...

I'd hate to go to jail for a little innocent Hot Rod horseplay.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hate to be an old foggie here but the street is no place to race. If someone feels a need to race go to the track. I have known a couple of people who have died due to street racing and a few more from shows of power such as how fast will it go?

Please guy's keep the streets for traffic and the tracks for spped contests.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am not proud of this, but exhibiton of speed cost me 475$ and the officer told me he could have impounded my car but let me drive it home, that was the only thing he let me go on. It also taught me that I need to be respectfull of the rules and follow them, which I have for many years, I was feeling good, haveing a great, pulled out onto a street with a 50 mph speed limit and caught a few gears without spnning the tires or breaking the speed limit, but when you wrap this thing out it sounds like you are going 100 mph, so I took my medicine with understanding and shame.
It is too bad the kids out there these days dont understand or care, we and they have bent or broken the rules, but takeing it to the extreme that the kids these do is down right stupid and they deserve to be spanked and spanked hard.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
yes, Street Racing here, not just Vancouver, but the whole lower mainland is gone crazy. The Friday nite drags @ Mission are great and the numbers that turn out are quite high. Even the local RCMP (our police force here, eh!) come out and actually help tech, stage and hit the lights. But, unfortunately, as rick and many others voice, it is out of hand. I have 2 sons that are at the age of most of these kids and they have been spectators (they know they would be tits up if dad caught them) and they come home and tell me that 75% of the guys and cars that show up are not North American Decent. BMW's, Toyota's, Honda's come out in hordes.
I have talked to a few of the groups and their complaint is that Mission raceway is 1 hour drive out, sit & wait, make maybe 2 runs before gates close. so they take it to the street, finding industrial areas as a rule but the law has chased them away from these areas and made them race on city streets.
I actually have put the bug in a few ears about some property that the City of Surrey bought here a few years ago to put in the Pacific National Exhibition ( Vancouver version of Disneyland...small scale). This property is now vacant, and it sounds like they are not going to build the PNE. This land use to be a a85 acres of autowreckers so they have to remove soil before they can build any commercial / residential buildings so why not make it into a multi-function racepark. I know for a fact that not only BC / Alta people but Washington, Oregon, Idaho residents would come here to watch INDY, Nascar, NHRA, etc if the facilities exsisted.

OK, I have vented enough.

No, a couple of more things. The media plays a big part in this problem And I am sorry to say, but so does my job. I build cars for movies here in Vancouver. Police cars to screech around corners, Mustangs / Camaros to jump tall buildings at a single bound. But when the film industry does such trash as "Fast and Flatulance<sp>" it gives ALL motorsports a bad name. When "Gone in 60 Seconds" released, look at the rise in auto theft. The media has to differentiate between Street racing and Drag Racing.

OK, I think I am done this time. Whewww! Where's my smokes!

There is NO substitution for Cubes
1954 Mercury Pick-up Blown 525 BBF, Morrison pro street/ pro-gas frame,2 1/2" chop but still in pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blown54 on 3/21/02 12:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-03-20 23:52, GMayf47124 wrote:
I hate to be an old foggie here but the street is no place to race. If someone feels a need to race go to the track. I have known a couple of people who have died due to street racing and a few more from shows of power such as how fast will it go?

Please guy's keep the streets for traffic and the tracks for spped contests.
I could'nt agree more with Gary.

I DON'T STREET RACE! AT ALL,NO EXCEPTIONS!

It's not worth killing yourself or worse yet somebody not even involved in the race!

I do run across some situations where I would like to kick some ass on a "knobshine" in some stickered up "rice racer" but,I don't cave in to the desire!

If I run across somebody who really wants to run I'll tell them to take it to the track with me for a legal run?

I even go the extra mile and tell them that I'll pay their entrance fee into the track!I figure if I offer to pay thier way into the track they will figure out that I'm not backing down from thier race,I'm just wanting to race safe and legal like!

I know this may sound like no fun or "whimping out" but, I will not street race ever.

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock Replica
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical
Performance Legend Supercars-West Allis Wis.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 3/21/02 1:27pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The law has mine and many others support but by what guide lines. I just found out that the law enforcement here in BC has been given permission by the DMV to pull a persons drivers license for 2 years AUTOMATICALLY. The only way they can get it back is by going to court, but the courts can sometimes take upto a year to be heard. The vehicle is impounded for a minimum of 2 months and a fine is set around the infraction (min $475)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sent to the State of Florida Legislative website.... HB 1225 is another reason, along with your well publicized Speed/Radar Traps, for normal people to stay out of Florida. Hope you can be content with a population dependent on pacemakers and Nitro-glycerin pills for excitement. I think the State of Florida collectively should take a laxative and a deep breath. I think the tendency towards the strangulation of personal freedoms is just a bit out of control. Florida should concentrate more on dispelling being known as the Dope warehouse to the world, or it's reputation as the last stop for many mugged/murdered tourists. Give these kid's something constructive to do with their time and money, and Florida could capitalize on a new, rich source of revenue. Build a couple racetracks, open at least 2 nites a week and at least 1 24 hour cycle on each weekend and make money, not build new prisons, hire more gaurds and Lawyers and lose it. Anyone one remember OCIR?? Anyone remember the High School Drag Racing program?? Anyone remember the "street"racing there(OCIR), and Irwindale and Long Beach beginning Friday at 6 PM and going till?? the next day. Someone had to say it. Might as well be me.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Having a street car capable of mid to low 8 second runs & being an avid drag racer for over 20 years, I say give them the chair! We have a Tuesday cruise in with time trials, Friday test & tune, Friday import only drags, Saturday bracket racing & a midnight to whenever grudge race. If you're in Tulsa & get caught with the track open all these days, you deserve to go to jail, go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
There is nothing wrong with making street "racing" a major crime. I'm all for it. No one has the right to risk innocent peoples lives for their own fun and "freedom". Get your ass to a track and do it safely. If there is no track, form a corporation with your car buddies and build one. If some punk racing on the street were to hurt or kill one of my family, I'd take more than his car and license! Alot more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font color="blue">Hopefully, most of you read the bill. My biggest gripe is that they labeled the "street racing" that is killing folks as "drag racing". I liken this to spitting on the grave of the likes of Steve Grebeck and Blaine Johnson. Then there is the problem of the rich folks building their houses next to the race tracks and then suing to close them down due to the noise! If there are no tracks then the kids end up on the streets. In all their grandeur, the legislation has not given any thought to solving the problem. What next? Raise my taxes to pay for additional jails and impound yards?! And yes, exhibition of speed now becomes a criminal offense under this new law. And the law makes it the officers discretion as to whether or not you are racing, which will lead to profiling. If you're 65 and darting around in a cadillac the it's speeding, but, if you're 35 and darting around in a mustang.....off to jail with your ass! I'm moving to Las Vegas!!!</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Sheesh, you mean if I move to Florida and want to avoid jail, I'll have to buy a Caddy? I wonder if Lincolns count?

(93 Mark VIII, mid 14's stock...)

·
Registered
166 Posts
hum.. lets see frist off, i'm 19. anyway the biggest problem i'v seen, racing is that most of what people see as "street racing" is a bunch of idiots that are just speeding, there not racing eachother. around here, when we race, its just 0 - 40, thats the speed limit, and and thats when the race ends. then you got your idiot that don't want to lose, and keep going to 100+ mph.
another thing. when i was young, my parrents taught me to look before crossing the street. down the street i live on, kids always, run out, sometimes AFTER LOOKING RIGHT AT ME. maybe someone should teach people not to run into the street.

next. theres a guy down my street, stood in the street, and made me stop so he could tell me not to speed down the street. its funny, cause the kids and all i never go past 15 mph anyway, must me the red car, and flowmasters. same guy, 2 days later turns on to the street fastenough to squeal his tires. anyway, needless to say that pissed me off.

i think the problem is not so much the orgnazed racing, as those who just do it to show off. when we do do quater mile, its on the freeway service drive, and usally we have someone block the 3 or 4 streets thad cross.

anyway, i guess i vented enough too, hope something made sence.

maybe not.
one other thing. i'v never gotten a ticket when i was actually raceing, but when my trans blew, and it wouldnt move till 3500, then break the tires, got one. driving backwards to tighten my brakes in a parking lot, got one. the list goes on, and of course in court even when a police officer conterdicts himself his testomny is taken above mine. ( " i was going 60mph+ for 2 -3 minutes in a parking" which is about 300 yards by 200 yards, "as i made a half circle arount the lot before he turned on his lights. . How in the name of zuse's butt-hole can i be going 60 for 2 minutes and only make it half way around a parking lot?
that ouvbously dosent matter, sence i'm 19 and drive a red mustang, I MUST BE GUILTLY.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'm 100% for the no racing on the street...

I'd just hate to be thrown in jail for driving a little "Loud & Goosey" ... so to speak ...

High compression 351c 4V, Flowmasters and 4.11:1 gears with a four speed sounds a little race'y even when driven mildly ...

Goose the throttle for a second and a half and some could easily think it's a race.

I reckon we best drive with more care and concern than ever ... as usual

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 3/27/02 9:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
66 Posts
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK BOYS........I LIVE IN NOR CALI. YOU CAN RACE EVERY WENSDAY NIGHT AT SEARS POINT RACEWAY. IT WILL ALL BE BRAND NEW IN A MONTH OR SO. SACRAMENTO HAS A TRACK ALSO. I AM 42 YEARS YOUNG, HAVE DONE ALOT A STREET RACING IN THE LATE 70'S AND 80'S. THERE ARE JUST TO MANY PEOPLE ON THE STREETS. THE TRACK IS WAY MORE FUN ANYWAY. YOU CAN GET A TIME SLIP AND STOP GUESSING YOUR ET OR SPEED....MY 2 CENTS

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The biggest part of this whole mess is education. During the last 2 weeks, here in B.C. there have been 13 deaths related to speeding / street racing. One of the worse was on Thursday when 5 kids (driver had his license 5 days)wer trying to outrun a train. They missed the train but went right into the intersection and were broadsided by a semi truck. The 4 passengers were killed and the driver is not expected to live.
I sponsor 1 of the racecar programs at a local high school. The students there work on the 2 cars that they race @ High School Drags. In order for the students to participate, they sign a waiver stating that if they are ever stopped for excessive speed, stunting or driving with undo care and attentioning, they lose not only the privilege to race the car but lose ALL marks in all classes for the year.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
WTF , they are worried about a couple of deaths per week BU!! SH!T. If that were the case it would be a crime to smoke which kills 11,000 a day........

These idiots have it all backwards

I bet that if there were performance lobbiest handing out free money like big tobbaco we could drive 200mph in a school zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
i would say something but i really dont know what to say... you all have great opinions and have voiced them greatly...

one thing i can say is that it would be much nicer at least for a younger person (i'm 21 recently) who loooves going fast (3 speeding tickets in 5 months) it would be very very nice if we could have more quarter miles around.... that is what i love more than anything.. the force of accelerating....
although witht eh cougar i really relaly like the handling and the "small" quickness of the v6... so maybe a few open road courses would be nice also...

·
Registered
170 Posts
If I am reading these post correctly some of you are racing on city streets? In my part of the country it's usually just the 2 cars involved, no bystanders just 2 guys mano on mano on lonely deserted county roads. Cops tell us just get it out of town. They know its going to happen, just not in town.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts