Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 futura sprint 289 3 speed. When cold it's starts and you press on the accelerator all you want. But when it gets warm it dies the sec you step on the accelerator.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Sounds to me it's starving for fuel. The chock is probably keeping it alive when it's cold.

·
Registered
238 Posts
had the same problem.
drive the car. when it dies open up the top of the carb. check to see if gas is in it. if not u got a clog, kink, bad fuel pump, or you might have what i had, something wrong with the cam eccentric.

easy fix: upgrade to a electric fuel pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've taken the top of the carb off to see if it was pumping gas and it was. It make a sucking sound when you step on the pedal. Also I've discovered the fuel filter in mechical fuel pump was full of all sorts of crap. So i've replaced the filter and clean out the canister. And plan get a rebuilt carb from a specialty shop in town.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've taken the top of the carb off to see if it was pumping gas and it was. It make a sucking sound when you step on the pedal. Also I've discovered the fuel filter in mechical fuel pump was full of all sorts of crap. So i've replaced the filter and clean out the canister. And plan get a rebuilt carb from a specialty shop in town.

Update. Bought brand new fuel pump and carb. Will run around the block fine. But the second I get on the street it dies

·
Registered
128 Posts
Update. Bought brand new fuel pump and carb. Will run around the block fine. But the second I get on the street it dies

so you can idle? When you say run around the block do you mean a low RPM cruise, and when you punch it, it dies? How are your vacuum connections?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally figured it out the gas tank was full a rust. I had put sea foam in it. Then drained it. Thought it was clean considering what came out of it. But sure enough. It was still dirty when I drained it a Second time. So I replaced all the filters again. And blew the line out. And unhooked it from the tank and ran it to a 5 gallon gas can in the trunk. ran perfect........ Till the clutch blew. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Finally figured it out the gas tank was full a rust. I had put sea foam in it. Then drained it. Thought it was clean considering what came out of it. But sure enough. It was still dirty when I drained it a Second time. So I replaced all the filters again. And blew the line out. And unhooked it from the tank and ran it to a 5 gallon gas can in the trunk. ran perfect........ Till the clutch blew. :(
Man, that is some bad luck. An old motorcycle trick that works for cleaning tanks is a gallon( or two or three four a car tank ) of white vinegar in the tank with a couple handfulls of marbles, seal it up and shake periodically over a couple or three days to loosen and clean the rust, make sure you run the marbles over the entire interior. then drain, water rinse then acetone rinse to take car of the water.

·
Registered
381 Posts
New 16 gal. tanks w/sending units are available. Sorry to hear about the clutch.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Man, that is some bad luck. An old motorcycle trick that works for cleaning tanks is a gallon( or two or three four a car tank ) of white vinegar in the tank with a couple handfulls of marbles, seal it up and shake periodically over a couple or three days to loosen and clean the rust, make sure you run the marbles over the entire interior. then drain, water rinse then acetone rinse to take car of the water.
Another method----if your tank is not reproduced like my Ranchero tank--And a lot less labor intensive,

Just take the tank to an industrial radiator shop to have it cooked and resealed.

My cost here in Texas was $125 for this.
Little radiator shops won't be able to do this----go to a shop that specializes in Semis and industrial engine cooling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a new one from Dearborn classics. New tank,sending unit and locking ring plus shipping was $189. Got a new clutch set from autozone $112. Paying a friend $100 to install it for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not quite yet. Still need a decent pair of tires, fix the hole in the rear seat floor, rust removal. Then paint

·
Registered
698 Posts
I agree what is allowing it to run cold is the choke.

I would evaluate/replace easy things like hte fuel filter. Why a choke is a steady flow, the sudden excelleration may be causing gunk in the filter to block what flow is available. If this is not the fix, it is always good to replace the filter on old cars.. A fuel Filter is dirt cheap, like under $5..

Once that is done I would see if that didnt fix it maybe your carb needs adjustment. Your fuel mixture ratio..

I guess I should have said to evaluate how dirty your carb is..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts