Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
61 - 80 of 490 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
nice, you guys in Texas/Arizona got it made

funny, I also had to replace the core support mounts on our 65 and on the sons 97 ranger, rotted thru under the rubber mounts...guess thats a common thing even on desert frames, rubber must rub enough to abrade the surface- I always thought it was just a salt thing, guess not...

if I ever had to do one again(no way) I'd holesaw some holes(3/4" or bigger, could weld a 'washer' around if worried about weakening) to flush inside the frame siderails/torqueboxes out- both during resto and occasionally down the road...having access for a borescope would be nice too, I saw a wrecked - but - mint one in Colorado junkyard that I poked a screwdriver thru, outside looked great, but it musta made a salt trip at one time or another... ones around here that ever saw salt were rotted at ten yrs old, Ford didnt use the greatest steel, left it uncoated, AND theres basically no drains large enough to not clog with road dust/grime...
heres my favorite 'ugly' pic of ours, the way it was in 2003-7-15-2003 127 by ford4v429, on Flickr
As mentioned before, I got a pretty clean car here so the process has been simplified if that's even a good word to use during this process.

The core support mounts on these frames seem to be problematic across the board. Haven't seen a post with any clean mounts and/or no repairs needing done.

I'm originally from Illinois so I know the damage the salt can cause on these frames. That picture is pretty extreme. Did you repair that frame or replace?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
As mentioned before, I got a pretty clean car here so the process has been simplified if that's even a good word to use during this process.

The core support mounts on these frames seem to be problematic across the board. Haven't seen a post with any clean mounts and/or no repairs needing done.

I'm originally from Illinois so I know the damage the salt can cause on these frames. That picture is pretty extreme. Did you repair that frame or replace?
'simplified' - yeah I know what you mean, yours is 1000000 times nicer than ours could ever be, but i can still relate a bit to the time and effort, it snowballs fast and the better it starts to look, the 'more better' you'd like to strive for :)

our frame was basically gone, saved the rear crossmember and the front clip inboard of the torque boxes, plasma cut/boxed 3/16 sheet arches and boxes, used 2x4 x 1/4 tube siderails- its heavy...if I had to do over, woulda got a Arizona frame, didnt have the funds at the time, *thought* could fix cheaper, but if labor amounts to anything, it was far more expensive to try and fix.
26 by ford4v429, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
'simplified' - yeah I know what you mean, yours is 1000000 times nicer than ours could ever be, but i can still relate a bit to the time and effort, it snowballs fast and the better it starts to look, the 'more better' you'd like to strive for

our frame was basically gone, saved the rear crossmember and the front clip inboard of the torque boxes, plasma cut/boxed 3/16 sheet arches and boxes, used 2x4 x 1/4 tube siderails- its heavy...if I had to do over, woulda got a Arizona frame, didnt have the funds at the time, *thought* could fix cheaper, but if labor amounts to anything, it was far more expensive to try and fix.
26 by ford4v429, on Flickr
Yeah but either way I love the process.
I have a good group working on this car. It's not "just another car" to them. It's something they take pride in doing and their history proves it.
This isn't one of those projects that I'll look back and say "wish I should have done that". I've had plenty of time to think about this project, the mods I planned to do and the direction of this restoration. It will come out just as I've imagined.
Try'n to keep that old school look with some modern additions. The brake(s) and engine mods will come later.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
A few hub assembly shots.
Both the front and rear pairs of exhaust hangers will be blasted, powdered and new straps installed.

Attachments

Reactions: jhayes91

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You, sir, are MUCH MORE AMBITIOUS than most!!

Good Luck!!
Thanks Marauderjack.

I need all the luck I can get. Step by step is all. Just wanting to get it right.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
The original 352 motor for this car has fairly low miles so we're simply going to strip it down, replace the intake and water pump with new edelbrock parts. Install new freeze plugs and replace all gaskets prior to preparing the motor and transmission for paint.

Once the frame gets picked up and returned, we plan to install the drivetrain prior to placing the body back on the frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Here is the color I chose for the car.

We recently did a spray test to verify it was what I was looking for.

The engine is being prepped now that the frame is ready for media blast. The frame and all other parts will be picked up soon.

The primer will be black which will make this color fairly dark. Looks much better in the sun though. Really looked nice. Wanted the lines of a car to shadow as well. Exactly was I was wanting. Think it will come out nicely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Here is the color I chose for the car.

We recently did a spray test to verify it was what I was looking for.

The engine is being prepped now that the frame is ready for media blast. The frame and all other parts will be picked up soon.

The primer will be black which will make this color fairly dark. Looks much better in the sun though. Really looked nice. Wanted the lines of a car to shadow as well. Exactly was I was wanting. Think it will come out nicely.
nice shade- I'm highly biased, but love blue cars (have 5)
are you thinking any black/silver/white accents? I love black on blue myself, or all blue... what are you thinking for wheels? magnums/torq-thrusts/wires/something more modern? gonna be one nice car for sure

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
nice shade- I'm highly biased, but love blue cars (have 5)
are you thinking any black/silver/white accents? I love black on blue myself, or all blue... what are you thinking for wheels? magnums/torq-thrusts/wires/something more modern? gonna be one nice car for sure
This will be my second blue.

Exterior accents will be the "custom 500" emblems (red 500 background) mounted on the front fenders, hood sprear and the custom inlay trunk emblem/spear from a '65. All chrome.

Interior will be three shades of grey.
Dash and center console faces (metal) will be painted light gray.
Leather wrapped dash pad, steering wheel, center console sides, all seating and doors will be grey.
Floor and lower door carts (carpet) will be a "light" charcoal.
Gauges are white faced, custom from autometer.
Plan to use Ridler 695's chromed versions. 20's in the rear, 18's in the front.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome myself. Been a long time envisioning this car.........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
This will be my second blue.

Exterior accents will be the "custom 500" emblems (red 500 background) mounted on the front fenders, hood sprear and the custom inlay trunk emblem/spear from a '65. All chrome.

Interior will be three shades of grey.
Dash and center console faces (metal) will be painted light gray.
Leather wrapped dash pad, steering wheel, center console sides, all seating and doors will be grey.
Floor and lower door carts (carpet) will be a "light" charcoal.
Gauges are white faced, custom from autometer.
Plan to use Ridler 695's chromed versions. 20's in the rear, 18's in the front.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome myself. Been a long time envisioning this car.........
sounds cool- like the wheels, but gotta throw something out-
few yrs ago I put 18's on the back of my mustang, 17's on front, tires in rear just slightly taller than fronts- but the shorter sidewall made them look backwards, hated it after I did it- last yr went back to 17's all around with taller rears- wanted the old hotwheels car look I reckon :)
anyways, just wanted to toss out to consider sidewall height for looks only- bigger tires *can* look smaller if the front aspect ratio is taller, and diameter choices can be very limited sometimes... I was just happy as a lark when Nitto came out with 275-50-17s in a performance tire- 27.9" dia rears, 27" fronts on 17x8(9?) wheels...heres how it sits now- stock springs, big marshmallow soft rears, rides great- took on a 5800 mile trip out west last summer, really enjoyed it over the rough riding 18s- rides better than the wifes V6 :)
hardscrabble grade by ford4v429, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
few yrs ago I put 18's on the back of my mustang, 17's on front, tires in rear just slightly taller than fronts- but the shorter sidewall made them look backwards, hated it after I did it- last yr went back to 17's all around with taller rears- wanted the old hotwheels car look I reckon
anyways, just wanted to toss out to consider sidewall height for looks only- bigger tires *can* look smaller if the front aspect ratio is taller, and diameter choices can be very limited sometimes... I was just happy as a lark when Nitto came out with 275-50-17s in a performance tire- 27.9" dia rears, 27" fronts on 17x8(9?) wheels...heres how it sits now- stock springs, big marshmallow soft rears, rides great- took on a 5800 mile trip out west last summer, really enjoyed it over the rough riding 18s- rides better than the wifes V6
That looks good as well. Bought my wife the '05 Mustang the first year they came out with this bodystyle. Still have it as well. Sonic blue.

The rears (20's) will fit just inside the wheelwell quarter panel lip. About 1 to 2 inches of the rim (upper) will be hidden by the lip.

The fronts (18's) rims will be exposed 100% showing 1 to 2 inches of tire. Rest of the tire being hid by the front lips.

It will be level with a slightly lowered stance.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
few yrs ago I put 18's on the back of my mustang, 17's on front, tires in rear just slightly taller than fronts- but the shorter sidewall made them look backwards, hated it after I did it- last yr went back to 17's all around with taller rears- wanted the old hotwheels car look I reckon :)
anyways, just wanted to toss out to consider sidewall height for looks only- bigger tires *can* look smaller if the front aspect ratio is taller, and diameter choices can be very limited sometimes... I was just happy as a lark when Nitto came out with 275-50-17s in a performance tire- 27.9" dia rears, 27" fronts on 17x8(9?) wheels...heres how it sits now- stock springs, big marshmallow soft rears, rides great- took on a 5800 mile trip out west last summer, really enjoyed it over the rough riding 18s- rides better than the wifes V6 :)
Is that 27.9 taller than stock? That tire looks like it fills the wheel arch nicely. Much better than stock.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
That looks good as well. Bought my wife the '05 Mustang the first year they came out with this bodystyle. Still have it as well. Sonic blue.
my original intention was sonic :) 3 kids/4 seats=bad math, it was a yr long battle with the wife...finally we compromised, I got rid of 2 cars, went to order the day the order banks closed, had to order vista a month before the color chips even came out- but i kinda like it. added a 'hump' 3 point belt , my 2nd oldest, but smallest son loved riding there, even if only kid in back, as he sat high enough to see out...soon son #4 arrived, not enough seats- added a few more in the form of her 07 vista blue v6/auto/pony :) mileage kinda sucks if caravanning, but kinda fun- we did 5800 miles last summer ohio to grand canyon, was a great trip, our then 6 yr old was a chatterbox the whole trip on the little FRS radios we had, two oldest got to drive some of the prettiest roads on earth in parts of Colorado, a trip theyll never forget either...love these cars, so much bought a 09 and stashed it away, still with 5 miles showing...also vista.
We've been to the dragstrip a dozen times, when wife couldnt drive due to heart surgery(long story- she wasnt blessed healthwise, lymphoma at barely 27, started chemo/radiation day of kids first and second birthday party, ten yrs later radiation side effects = heart attack/bypass/pacemaker at 36 - youngest was 7 months old, plus we had temp custody of a buddies daughter when he had some legal issues- rough year) Anyways wife let my mom take her mustang down the dragstrip- I gave Mom a two second headstart, she beat me by .007 seconds, said my son was screaming 'go grandma go' the whole way... at the time THAT was the best day of 2008 for all of us, health was on the mend, just out having some fun...

Sonic was a 1 yr S197 color- pretty rare- and a very pretty color, 'its a keeper' for sure :)

The rears (20's) will fit just inside the wheelwell quarter panel lip. About 1 to 2 inches of the rim (upper) will be hidden by the lip.

The fronts (18's) rims will be exposed 100% showing 1 to 2 inches of tire. Rest of the tire being hid by the front lips.

It will be level with a slightly lowered stance.
sounds like a plan- didnt mean to sound like questioning it, just when I did staggered I didnt think it thru or even photoshop it first, and immediately regretted it, wasted a chunk of change...

Is that 27.9 taller than stock? That tire looks like it fills the wheel arch nicely. Much better than stock.
thanks- dont mean to derail the thread more than I already did, but yes- stock was 27", these closed the gap by a fair amount and didnt need lowering- I'm kinda oldschool maybe, wanted to keep the arch concentric- plus ground clearance and ride... the offset in the torq-thrust IIs was about .3 more than ideal, but I liked the wheels- drivers side could *just* rub if chassis fully articulated (sandbags in trunk/front jacked), so I cut some spacers for the bumpstops, and for the colorado trip with a trunk full of luggage and full seats, added airbags inside the coils- 15psi kept headlights aimed properly even at max payload...and I carefully drove it around some rough roads on Dad's property in the mountains that a lowered car wouldnt have stood a chance at...an adjustable panhard rod coulda centered the axle better, but wouldnt help if articulated, so went with spacers and firming the springs with tha airbags- tried and cant make them touch :)

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
They started scraping and powerwashing the bottom in prep for the new undercoating.

Going to leave some of the original seam coats alone since they still are in surprisingly great shape, plus it gives the car some original character.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Im not 100% what these plastic trim pieces are called but have been looking for replacements since mine were pretty brittle and were falling apart coming off. Not sure if i'll be able to find some good ones out there but if anyone has a good set they are willing to get rid of, I'd sure appreciate it.
Will have to fabricate something farther down the road if I don't have any luck

Attachments

61 - 80 of 490 Posts