Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
81 - 100 of 490 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I have the same problem with the plastic pieces on my car. If you fabricate one, what are your plans? You think it would be easy to make something similar using fiberglass?

Don't think I'm going to fiberglass this job.

I have my own (homemade) vacuum forming machine that works quite well. My wife asks me to form certain objects so she can make concrete molds of them, decorate and gives them out as gifts/etc/etc. BUT, I will be using it forming my own center console tray's/speaker baffles/etc with it once I get to that part of the build.

That being said, I buy plastic sheets from a local supplier here in town that I use with that machine and was thinking I could simply use the same PVC plastic material (comes in multiple thicknesses) and form my own edging by clamping it in place on the inside of the door cart location and molding it around that edge with a heat gun. Cut to specific size to mount and paint.

Some of those plastics have the same textured look to them as well but that's something I wont be worrying about myself. I think it should be fairly easy. I've help mold custom tail light lenses in the past using the same process.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
hmm, a guy with a 65/66 galaxie and a vacuum forming machine...

I talked to a guy that vacuum formed r/c heli canopies years ago- asked his thoughts on making 'pseudo' pyrex nascar headlight covers 'piece of cake, just need a bezel, pics and rough dimensions'... i'd forgotten all about that till just now- never got back with him to see about making some...whatta you think?

some custom clear lexan covers on a 66 would be unique/cool/and one of a kind... but please, if you would happen to do some, make some to fit a 65 standard bezel please... bet you could get 200-300 a set pretty easy if they looked reasonably legit- those factory pyrex covers are going for over 3000 a pair without the special bezels even...imagine a stone chip in unobtainium... they are uber-cool looking, funny the little checkered flag really 'made' them... but three grand is just nuts.

seriously, if there were a knockoff set in UV resistant lexan, I'd be wanting some, even for our lowly LTD - was one of the coolest features from the 60's to me :)
funny thing was- they were like a 20.00 option on 65 bigblock cars... think theyd look awesome on a 66 too if formed for the bezels...

just googled a pic of some, man these were cool...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Absolutely...I would by a set for my 66 in a heartbeat if they were available and reasonable.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Some before and after of the rear exhaust hangers.

Restoring and restrapping them was quite a bit cheaper than buying new aftermarket.

Currently restoring the fronts the same way.

Attachments

Reactions: jhayes91

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
nice work- definitely nicer than aftermarket new too!
Thanks

It's the small things that make the difference to me. I've said it before but love the process.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Although I had already shaved the side mirrors early in the body work, we performed a test on an older original side mirror by removing the mounting plate and adding magnets into the plate so I could simply snap on the mirrors outside (with thin felt bottoms) for inspection purposes and/or travel. It surprisingly worked well and stayed on the car even at high speeds. Was going to go that route and buy some new ones to use..............

BUT, I found these 5" aftermarket mirrors that match the originals with the LED turn signals in them and instantly changed my mind. The car will now have permanent side mirrors tied into the turn signals. A little modern look on this custom car wont hurt a thing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
very nice works, what are you using as rubber for your exhaust hanger ?
Thanks.

Bought the correct strap sizes already made from walker exhaust online. $8

To buy new aftermarket completed (but unfinished) hangers? $75 each.

No brainer.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Was able to get a few pics of the finished frame outside. Being delivered back to the shop soon.

If all the parts powdered turned out like this, I'm gonna dread putting the body back on it. Maybe think about flintstoning it!

More to come..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Frame looks great. Nice job.
Definately turned out nice. Luckily there was a company within a few miles of the shop that blasts/powdercoated it for me. Nice work.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Great progress and great pics. My son picked up a '66 to rescue so this is excellent info.

So yeah, you're going to design a "body lift" that you can activate to lift the body off the frame to show it off right? :)

Great stuff, will be following along.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Great progress and great pics. My son picked up a '66 to rescue so this is excellent info.

So yeah, you're going to design a "body lift" that you can activate to lift the body off the frame to show it off right? :)

Great stuff, will be following along.

Stephen
Thanks Protowrxs2. Good to hear another 66 is being rescued.

Lol, you'll see what I mean when this frame gets reassembled.

Going to be alot of pics coming soon of this all going back together.

Not sure how much you've read of this thread so far but it's been moving along well.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Attachments

81 - 100 of 490 Posts