Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, this is my first time here, so hopefully you guys can help me better than the other fourms out there. Here's my dellema: I'm trying to find a Ford 9" for my '69 Fairlane Fastback... I dont know how long it has to be to fit right, but, i have found a 9" in a '64-'65 Galaixy Wagon that had a 390 in it. My worrie is that it may be too long... does anyone know if it is?? Because truthfully i dont want to have to measure mine then travel an hour and a half to find out that it dosent fit... Thanks

Jace

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Just remember that the spring perches could be in the wrong spot if the rear measures the same. But thats easy to fix by getting new perches or cutting the old ones of and putting them in the right spot.
I have an 9 inch from my Cougar that might find its way into the Fairlane, but the perches are 3/4 in. off but the rear is the same length. Just move them in or out.

Rick

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, i never knew that that could happen. What kind of hood is on the fairlane in the picture? Where could i find one? i like it alot.. also, if i were to put a 390ci in a car that was formaly a 302ci, would i have have to move the engine mounts for it to fit?

Jace

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The hood on my Fairlane is a stock hood with a Cougar Eliminator scoop on it. Here's a better pic.

For 390 mounts, you'd need to find frame mounts from a 390 car. You can still get the rubber ones from a jobber, but have to track down frame mounts.

Rick

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info... but as i was just going through some topics you said that the 68 has 5 hash marks and the 69 has 3 hash marks.... those "hash marks" kind of look like gills dont they??? they are located behind the side windows..*confousion*... my fastback that i bought was listed as a 69, but i have 5 marks! was i sold a 68??? are there any other distinguishing featres that sets the 68-69 apart???

Jace

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The 69's had a 3 piece grille, 68 had a one piece grille and is made of tin foil (
), the back panel chrome strip is thicker on a 69 then a 68, 69 had marker lights on the 1/4, 68 had reflectors on the 1/4 extension. 68 had chrome all around the door windows, 69 only had them up the back where the 1/4 window meets. All this is just from comparing my friends 69 Torino to my 68, Fairlanes may be different. I havent seen a 69 Fairlane up close yet. Hope thats enough to let you know. Send me a good picture and I can tell you if its a 68 or 69.

Rick

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks. i would send you a pic. but its being stored in a friends garage, and i have just recently came down with pneumonia...
. mom wont let me leave... is there any way i can tell with the vin #?

Jace

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jace on 5/9/02 8:23am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My car vin. starts off with 8K35C....... If it's a 68 it will start with a 8, or 69 will start with 9, like 9K35C......

Rick

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, turns out that my fastback is a '68... thanks.

Jace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts