1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The person who placed the ad doesn't even know that the C4 uses a band for low gear - he states that he has 5 frictions in the high and low clutches -
I wouldn't trust it - sounds like an ill-prepared scam to get your money and never ship your tranny. If you feel that you are safe with PayPal and that the guy might be able to build a tranny without knowing what is inside of them then go for it - it might be a great deal - or $600 spoof.
Paul

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'll say I have NOT bought anything from this guy myself, but I have a friend who has. A GM valvebody. He called Jacksons phone number to check him out and liked what he heard. The guy was very helpful and professional on the phone. The valvebody worked well for him. The guy also has great feedback which is a good sign. I would not be afraid of him.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Summit has Transmissions for $599 and they have a very good reputation. I haven't dealt with either of them so I would only recommend the ones that I build. The only problem with that it that I don't ship mine so you are right back where you started. I know that there are a lot of places that sell $600 transmissions and I would bet that some of the users here have dealt with somebody with a good reputation and a well known name. It can be very difficult to get any warranty work from a guy selling on Ebay and you have very little recourse if you are not satisfied. That's why I only deal locally - I get new friends each time I build a tranny. I can also fix it if it is not right.

Anyone who builds a lot of transmissions will eventually build a bad one or have one fail. It happens. When it does happen I want to be close to the guy that built it - or bought it - so it can get fixed without bad feelings.
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am currently running a c6 so i am going o have it rebuilt by the same guy who done a friend of mines box and that is a great box. it just means that i need to by a new converter as i am currently running a stock one. can anybody recomend a good company.

thanks alot,

Lee.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I bought a C-4 from Luke at Jackson Racing. Reverse manual valve body. The first one he shipped got lost. He sent me another one, no problem. VERY WELL packaged for shipping. Talked to him on the phone, very good customer service. I bought in Sept of '05, just got the car running a couple of weeks ago. gotta get some brakes on it to try out the trans.

I have not run the trans yet but will be in the next few weeks. I will keep you posted.

Side note I have a GER 2800 stall convertor (bought 12 yrs ago). I hope I have one of the good ones. Based on what I've read about them, you have about a 60-40 chance of good vs bad.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
On 2007-03-24 11:58, cccdjb wrote:
I have a GER 2800 stall convertor,........... you have about a 60-40 chance of good vs bad.
That's very optimistic. Even if it stalls correctly, it will probably be slower than a "good" converter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts