Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up this frozen 289 at a swap meet a few months ago, ($10) and pounded the pistons out of the block. It is an old 5 bolt a block with its life bored away (.040 over, small ridge). I have all the parts to throw a POS motor together aside from an oil pump rod and heads. (and a few gaskets)

I think it would be a fun challenge build to see if I could make it run for less than 150 bucks... think I can do it? a pair of heads will set me back oh, $60 at my local junkyard (and they let you take misc stuff, they don't care about the small stuff), so I guess... I have $70 for gaskets and misc...
I was going to clean the rings up and push the pistons back in. bearings looked fine actually, no brass...

But what all do ya think. put 150 inner and have some fireworks at the end of it all :D

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
And to think, just about a year or so ago I couldn't even give my old 289 short block away. It was a 1965 block bored .030 over with one cylinder that had some scoring but I'm sure was good for maybe a single cylinder .010 rebore and call it good. It was low mileage (under 10K), had Speed Pro forged flat tops, resized rods, good bearings, etc. and a Crane Energizer cam (261 duration, .484 lift).

At one point I was asking $200 for the rotating system and didn't even get a bite. :confused:

Do it!

John

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool dudes, thanks for the kind words. haha.

I was going to try my hand at porting, port matching, and other mods as well, so I will see how things turn out...

I may get some buddy deals depending on what my friends have laying around, but anyone have any other ideas on how to do elbow grease shade tree fixes on worn out pistons, heads, and misc?

·
Registered
440 Posts
And to think, just about a year or so ago I couldn't even give my old 289 short block away. It was a 1965 block bored .030 over with one cylinder that had some scoring but I'm sure was good for maybe a single cylinder .010 rebore and call it good. It was low mileage (under 10K), had Speed Pro forged flat tops, resized rods, good bearings, etc. and a Crane Energizer cam (261 duration, .484 lift).

At one point I was asking $200 for the rotating system and didn't even get a bite. :confused:

Do it!

John

still have it? ill give you 200 bucks for the shortblock you just descibed

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, bad news, the one frozen piston is pretty much ruined, tried getting the stuck rings out and only managed to widen the ring gap by chipping tiny chunks out of rings... looks like I need to scrounge up at very least a couple rings...

Also, why would some piston bores have more ridge than others? some have a barely noticeable ridge, and others have a quite noticeable ridge to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts