Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
I do NOT like what I'm starting to see on this forum.

Today, instead of the typical ads, there were three (top/right/bottom) areas showing what I'll call "gibberish".

words, equal signs, /// marks, etc

No product, no text, no images, just a bunch of characters that look like something a hacker might enter.

This is the only forum I'm on that has any issues such as these, and I am getting concerned.
The gibberish, are you able to rightclick it and hit copy url?
If you can, get that to me and I'll try and get the broken ad blocked.

KN Community Support

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The gibberish, are you able to rightclick it and hit copy url?
If you can, get that to me and I'll try and get the broken ad blocked.

KN Community Support
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't like clicking onto anything that I don't trust.

If I'm seeing this, shouldn't you and other users be seeing the same thing?

Don't you have the ability to sign on as a user?

PS, saw it again when I just signed on three minutes ago.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Here's a copy of the gibberish:

';this.altsrc = '\\\\';this.callbackName = '__dvredirect_callback_' + this.rand;var thisRedirect = this;window[this.callbackName] = function () { return thisRedirect; };var src = 'https://rtbcdn.doubleverify.com/bsredirect5.js?callback=' + this.callbackName;document.write('');}

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Gibberish continues at various levels just about every day.

Am I the only member seeing gibberish?

Anyway, as long as it doesn't impact my computer security, let it be.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I did a Google translation of some of the posted characters, and it does look suspicious. My suggestion would be to temporarily block the potentially bad stuff while the site is working on it. Depending on your browser, you can use "add-ons" or "plug-ins" that will block stuff like that. What browser are you using on what kind of computer/device?

David

PS: To be clear, the blocking should only be temporary, as this site uses the advertising to help support costs. Support your local Ford Forums. :tup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Gibberish continues at various levels just about every day.

Am I the only member seeing gibberish?

Anyway, as long as it doesn't impact my computer security, let it be.
Well I'd guess since I started the thread/question, there's at least two people who see the "gibberish". LOL

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I did a Google translation of some of the posted characters, and it does look suspicious. My suggestion would be to temporarily block the potentially bad stuff while the site is working on it. Depending on your browser, you can use "add-ons" or "plug-ins" that will block stuff like that. What browser are you using on what kind of computer/device?

David

PS: To be clear, the blocking should only be temporary, as this site uses the advertising to help support costs. Support your local Ford Forums. :tup:
I've gotten the same gibberish using Google or Internet Explorer.

I still cannot understand how the site's administrative team doesn't see the trash.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Since you have Chrome, try adding the Adblock add-on. I use it on Firefox and it works very well. As a second layer, you can also add Ghostery, which stops web bugs and such. I enable all blocking, and just click it to pause blocking or whitelist the site if it interferes with any browsing. You can always remove or disable them anytime.

I also pause them occasionally to click on some ads here to feed the site. There are more solutions, but if those don't work great, I'd do a scan of your system to see if it's a response back from your box.

David

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
Hello all,

After looking into this further and communicating with Google, here's what they have reported back to us:

---

This issue is fixed and will be released in early December. The exact ETA is still unavailable because there is a code freeze in place for the rest of the month.

The issue is only seen with certain versions of IE. In certain situations when text ads are rendered the encoding that describes the format does not get set correctly. This causes the unexpected foreign characters.

It is worth pointing out that this is also occurring for a few other publishers as well but on a small scale.

---

AS

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Does this address the Asian character issue only? What about the gibberish?

Why don't I see this problem on other forums even though I'm using the same browsers?

Copied this a few minutes ago:

this.altsrc = '\\\\';this.callbackName = '__dvredirect_callback_' + this.rand;var thisRedirect = this;window[this.callbackName] = function () { return thisRedirect; };var src = 'https://rtbcdn.doubleverify.com/bsredirect5.js?callback=' + this.callbackName;document.write('');}

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
Does this address the Asian character issue only? What about the gibberish?

Why don't I see this problem on other forums even though I'm using the same browsers?

Copied this a few minutes ago:

this.altsrc = '\\\\';this.callbackName = '__dvredirect_callback_' + this.rand;var thisRedirect = this;window[this.callbackName] = function () { return thisRedirect; };var src = 'https://rtbcdn.doubleverify.com/bsredirect5.js?callback=' + this.callbackName;document.write('');}
Hello,

Where did you find this odd piece of code?

~KM, community support

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It varies.

Today, up top where ad pop ups appear.

';this.altsrc = '\\\\';this.callbackName = '__dvredirect_callback_' + this.rand;var thisRedirect = this;window[this.callbackName] = function () { return thisRedirect; };var src = 'https://rtbcdn.doubleverify.com/bsredirect5.js?callback=' + this.callbackName;document.write('');}

Sometimes on the right, sometimes below, sometimes top, right, and below..

Always appears in the ad pop up spaces.

·
Site Admin
345 Posts
It varies.

Today, up top where ad pop ups appear.

Sometimes on the right, sometimes below, sometimes top, right, and below..

Always appears in the ad pop up spaces.
Can you grab a screenshot of it when it appears next?

KN Community Support

21 - 40 of 42 Posts