Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some FM folks will find this video on Jay Leno's website interesting. He's got a chassis house making a custom suspension for his 1966 7 Litre.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I noticed it has rack & pinion and some really cool details. Unfortunately I also saw a Fram filter.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Mayby the Fram filter was a tv prop, ??? I agree if I had jays money I would have suspension like that. Anytime you can make a car handle, stop, or steer better more power to you.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Now that is a really off the wall statement to make about a car you likely do not know the condition of prior to him starting on it?
They did state that they did extensive rust repair to the car so he may have actually save a car that would otherwise not be road worthy again.

I personally commend Jay for building car the way he does. Several of his cars (this one included) have been test beds for parts suppliers to develop parts that find their way on to our cars. He foots the bill so the we don't have to is one way to look at it.

It appears to me that he has taken an ill handling barge and turned it into a performance machine while maintaining the appearance of a very mild custom Galaxie. I love it!

Scott...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just am not a fan of hotchkis stuff, Never have been nothing to do w/the performance, just the looks. Like those rear control arms. Way too bulky, and just ugly.

I like what I did to rear of mine way better and cleaner (IMO). I thought I seen somewere that some one had some billit rear arms for these cars??

I'am curious about the brakes, cause I had to do some work to get Wilwoods on mine.

And yea a Fram filter????

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There was an article about Jay buying that car. It was a runing driving car in fairly good condition. The owner trailered it down to the Big Dog Garage and Jay fixed them dinner and then took them on a plane to Vegas to watch his show that he was doing there that night. Pictures and all. I still say he ruined a decent 66 7 Liter car. They only made so many of those. But it is HIS car and he can do as he damn well pleases just like we all can.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
With Jay's money this car will be better than anything Ford ever produced in 1966.
Did you see under the body, very nice.
Money will get you anything.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't really see much that Jay has done to the car that could not be restored back to original if someone desired to do that at some time? So I agree that it does not appear that he has ruined the car by and stretch.

As I stated earlier I believe he has taken a car not known for its great handling characteristics and turned it into a performance vehicle while at the same time retaining the factory lines of the original vehicle.

I wish he would do more Galaxies that way! Anytime a high profile guy like Jay gets involved in a project like that they can literally move the aftermarket in that direction making all types of neat parts available to the rest of us. Also by doing the video he has others see what is possible and has pointed out the lack of aftermarket support for this type of car.

Again, I applaud his efforts and can only hope that this Galaxie becomes one of his favorite rides.

Scott...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am excited for Jay's build. It can def. lead to more aftermarket parts for out GALs. I wish I had Jay's team and funds for my car. He is doing about what I want to do but much faster.

As far as the frams go, FE, I have heard some bad things about the fiber elements inside breaking down and getting into the oil system and cause some serious problems....I haven't seen it first hand yet, but I don't want to see it happen to anything of mine...

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Fram filters have been found to have "inconsistant" QA in a number of tests performed by nationally recognized, un-baised, non-profit organizations.

In the ranking of National Oil filter brand, based on blow-out, effective filtering - historically Fram (modern day Fram) have been found to fail mechanically as well as in performance test.

Don't just take the collective word of forum members ... get on the 'Net and search, read for yourself.

If or when Fram returns to the quality they "used" to have, for an extended period of time - these kind of complaints will lessen - might even recover a little of their old reputation.

If you have time - cut one in half: see for yourself. How much filtering media is inside? Is it attached, firmly to the end cap, or will contaminated, unfiltered oil have a path to the return?

*note: most of the complaints have been in respect to their week-end special, promotional filters being sold at the Chain stores. (some of their High quality - high price (not orange) brands are better.)
..."least, that's the way I see it"...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Fram[/FONT]

[RWI] I used Fram once with disasterous results. About 4 years ago, I decided to change my oil one Sunday. Unfortunately, no Acura dealers were opened on Sunday. So, I ran to my local Pep Boys and puchased myself an equivalent Fram filter. Did my oil and filter change as usual and went for a test drive. After about 20 mins driving around, I decided to take it to about 100 mph. Guess what, my oil presure dropped to zero and one of the idiot lights started blinking.
I immediately shut the engine off and assesed what had happen. There was smoke coming from the rear right side of the car but not on the left. Believe me, it was a scary experience. I was almost in tears while I pulled off the side of the road. I got out of the car and saw a trail of oil on the road leading up to my car. I remember praying as I carefully peeped under the car. First thing I noticed was the car's left underside was very clean. I decided to jack up the car right there and then so I could see more underneath. Further examination revealed the Fram rubber seal burst spilling most of the oil out of my engine.
I told myself then, I will never ever use a non-factory filter my my NSX again. The next day, I took my car to the dealer and had them checked everything in my engine. Fortunately, the dealer said the engine has no detectable damage. It took at least 3 under carriage steam cleaning before I got all the oil out of the little crevices under the car. The moral of the story, don't skimp on oil filters, use the oil filter specifically designed for you car.
[DNG] Fram oil filters are know for this. Frams were banned from being used on race bikes since they kept blowing. I'd rather spend $4 more for piece of mind with the OEMs.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Someone PLEASE tell me why you all Bang on Fram filters?

do they NOT filter oil after a couple day's or what?
From Mopar 2008 study
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

From 1999.

Filters To Avoid

The following list of filters have known problems. You will see well-known names here and will probably be disappointed. This is because many of these brands have stopped making their own filters and buy from a common manufacturer.
Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.
Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure releif valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.
Penzoil

This filter is a Fram! It is the exact same design as the Fram Extra Guard filter and it is junk. On the up side, it costs $1 less than the Fram version.
Quaker State

This is another Fram Extra Guard that I have seen at K-mart. It used to be a Purolator, but Quaker State is now owned/controlled by Penzoil...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
While this approach to car care/restoration/modding is something I would never, ever do to our car, and I sympathize with 63ford406's opinion, I entirely agree with you, one37tudor, that any attention paid to Galaxies is a very good thing. Particularly from someone with the profile of Jay Leno.

How many people visited his website and never even knew what a Galaxie was? And Jay echoed some of the opinions I hear around here, about how frustrating it is that no one makes this stuff for Galaxies. If people follow his website, and decide to get one of those neat-o Galaxies...and parts purveyors pick up on the interest...well, where do you think that leads? My point with this thread was not so much to pass judgment on Jay's mods, but to point out that probably America's most famous car collector has a big thing for Galaxies.

Like everyone around here, Mr. Leno has a personal connection, even affection, for the Ford Galaxie. Clearly he is trying to do right by the car, not only his individual '66 but the marque as a greater whole. Note that not every car he buys or restores gets promoted in blow-by-blow fashion on his website. I think he props the Galaxie restoration for the very reason of bringing attention to a marque he's loved since 44 years ago he helped his own father pick one out.

Jay Leno gets to drive the R-code 3.00:1 if he's ever in Cincinnati.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
...exactly my sentiments...

The more people can see what "can" be done to make a Galaxie better ... the more Great Galaxie's will be built.

There is a lack of manufacturer interest in Galaxie's made after the 63 - 64 Performance years.

As for chassis, suspension, replacement, general reproduction, interior parts and body panels ... it drought for 65 - 66 models, affordable parts are getting worse as popularity increases.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Someone PLEASE tell me why you all Bang on Fram filters?

do they NOT filter oil after a couple day's or what?
I had one split right across the top back in the early 90's...no idea why, no excessive pressure, no dents. hadnt bought another Fram till a few weeks ago- couldnt find one for the wifes truck, only parts store open had a fram only...but its a chevy, so figured good enough :)

on filters, I have found on fram and others on several occasions metal chips clinging in the center hole threads, I always (carefully-ouch) run my finger around inside first checking for chips left by a dull tap...I used to like the lee 2 stage maxifilters- remember those? they had a coarse filter for bypass mode, where others just have the rubber disk that flaps open when the oils too cold(or the filters too dirty- if its possible to run a filter that long)...dunno why they quit making those...

wifes cousin brought over a K/N filter - he didnt know how to change it- but I was looking it over before that huge job of dropping it in and found a staple on the engine side...box had no staples, so dunno how it got there, but it always pays to look.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts