Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
So why not give an old gal a modern suspension/motor/brakes, and drive it like a new car? You know she'd love it.... lol...
Jay's Gal is the same age as Pamela Anderson and that gal has had some updating. Anyone see a problem with that?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
thats one long video- but cool as heck :)

I like how he told about his mom telling his dad 'oh let the boy pick the engine...' obviously she didnt know boys and their cars too well, as he did exactly what most of us woulda done in that situation :)
Tim

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dunno, I guess there are 2 kinds of old cars... original and custom... those that can keep a car fully original I salute you. those that custom a car to make it faster, handle better, look better I applaud you as well. not everyone has the same interest in their mind when they buy a old car. people will prolly Disrespect me when i put cragars or magnum 500's on my car because that is not original... whatever.. fact is, no matter what is done, it's still a Galaxie. i'm only 40 but i've used Fram filters on everything i own , never once have i had a o ring blowout. I think alot of people prolly dont put a thin coat of oil on them before spinning them up on. Also, lots of people use a wrench to tighten them on ( overtighten them too ) maybe the old oli ring still stuck on and then tada it blows out. a few people that have a issue and that makes the whole company bad? thats like saying dont run Goodyear tire because they failed at poconos nascar track. yeah sure anything mass produced will eventually have a failure. otherwise all our cars would never need parts right? I dunno people, do we always have to thumb our noses and think we are elite? Jay Leno's car will be a great handling car when done, it will look good, handle well and have lots of toys. is that any reason to put the man down? he is a car enthusiast like the rest of us, he just has more money then us. I think it is great that he shares information on things , much like this forum. It takes everyone sharing what they do to make us all richer in a wealth of information. I personally do not like the 20 in rims on cars, fart burner mufflers, rear deck wings that should be on a plane, but it is all in personal taste. I'd love to have my Galaxie handle better and if i had the knowhow and the funds to support it, i'd prolly do the same things Jay did. do you all think Chip Foose is a bad guy? he makes some beautiful cars out of rustbuckets.

On a side note i'm happy to be a part of a forum where people share their thoughts and information. to each person with their concept of the perfect car I salute you. now lets go get in our cars and light up the streets!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I seen this video and I got excited for a couple of reasons.

1-Front suspension. All of the additions/improvements to the front suspension can be used on everything from '65 to '79 intermediates. That is HUGE news in Ford land period.

2-LONGER panhard bar. This is the only item on the rear suspension that impressed me. We boxed in our lowers & upper control arms and installed poly bushings. Way cheaper (by a landslide). The stock upper arm is adjustable (even if only a little) but it gets the job done.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
i'm only 40 but i've used Fram filters on everything i own , never once have i had a o ring blowout. I think alot of people prolly dont put a thin coat of oil on them before spinning them up on. Also, lots of people use a wrench to tighten them on ( overtighten them too ) maybe the old oli ring still stuck on and then tada it blows out. a few people that have a issue and that makes the whole company bad?
My stepdad always used Fram, I did too- UNTIL...I had two I found metal chips clinging in the threads(dull tap maybe), I always check carefully now that thats not the case before I prefill and install one...anyways, I had a Fram split across the top on the highway one day...had changed it a few days earlier, probably had a slight leak I didnt notice till it split- but it suddenly started clattering and smoking/shut it down, coasted off the side of the road...perfectly clean crack all the way across the top center of the can, not a scratch/dent/mark on it, just a perfectly clean split. Ive never heard of a oring blowing out of any filter- however did help a buddies neighbor one day- I was just visiting when his neighbor came over to borrow a filter wrenh to TIGHTEN his leaky filter- I was like, lets take a look...sure enough, I spun it off there was the seal from the old filter stuck to the block, and he'd tightened the new one so much it squeezed one side over and bent the filter base...unless the rings not in its seat, i cant picture one blowing out- its pretty captive.
Anyways, I threw the remaining Fram stuff I had in the trash, only bought one once since...Id bought a ac/delco for the wifes chevy, it was labelled wrong (right box/wrong filter) and the only correct part they had was a Fram...I really cringed but used it anyway.
the champino plugs I bought for my 06 mustang are still in the box...shoulda took them back, but forgot...$112 for 8 of the biggest piece of crap plugs Ide ever coulda imagined- one of the 8 wasnt even threaded all the way, woulda probably ruined the head, the platinum tips way way off center, meta shavings crimped under the seal. Made in Mexico. I only got them as the 2 piece autolites tend to snap off in the head, but after seeing these, I'll ruin the autolites another 5 years before having to deal with the darn things...Brisk racing also makes a one piece replacement- maybe I'll try them someday- Ive seen them, they are a good quality plug, but n/a in platinum yet.
for me Fram and Champion are off my 'decent' product list forever, and will only ever be used in a bad pinch. I sent pics of the plugs to federal mogul, never even got a formletter reply. I should box them up and send them to the president of federal mogul and see what he thinks of his product...hmm might just do that.
Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now that is a really off the wall statement to make about a car you likely do not know the condition of prior to him starting on it?
They did state that they did extensive rust repair to the car so he may have actually save a car that would otherwise not be road worthy again.

I personally commend Jay for building car the way he does. Several of his cars (this one included) have been test beds for parts suppliers to develop parts that find their way on to our cars. He foots the bill so the we don't have to is one way to look at it.

It appears to me that he has taken an ill handling barge and turned it into a performance machine while maintaining the appearance of a very mild custom Galaxie. I love it!

Scott...
Agree 150%

·
Registered
253 Posts
One37tudor doesn't have his facts right. Jay Leno's 7-Litre was in fine shape when he acquired it, not a rust bucket or PoS.

If you didn't already know, only 1,717 4-speed 7-Litre hardtops were built in 1966.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just am not a fan of hotchkis stuff, Never have been nothing to do w/the performance, just the looks. Like those rear control arms. Way too bulky, and just ugly.

I like what I did to rear of mine way better and cleaner (IMO). I thought I seen somewere that some one had some billit rear arms for these cars??

I'am curious about the brakes, cause I had to do some work to get Wilwoods on mine.

And yea a Fram filter????
Pictures of your rear arm setup???

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dug what he did to that car, a lot. rare? sure. but he paid for it he can do whatever he wants to it and leave the rivet counting to others.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put this full kit on my 65 convertible (thread on this forum). It's very good stuff, and far from what I would "ugly" or bulky.

Performance improvement is SIGNIFICANT to say the least.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not autocrossing, but I enjoy driving my '66 and I appreciate good handling. After completely going through the suspension, I added HD springs & shocks, matching front 1.25" / 1" rear sway bars and a quick ratio steering gearbox. End result is I'm more than happy with both road feel and how it handles overall.

Keep in mind when the 1965-68 full-size Ford platform was introduced in '65, the front suspension set up became the benchmark for NASCAR into the 1980s. Hence, the fundamental design is pretty sound. Meanwhile, in rear, when the 3-link/panhard suspension is mated with a good matching rear sway bar and proper springs / shocks, It provides mild understeer and good predictability.

Sure, the full Hotchkis suspension is great, no doubt. If you have the $4500 - $5000 to splurge, no going wrong. For me, the handling I have is more than responsive enough and predictable for a crapload less money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hear you. Mine needed a complete overhaul at all 4 corners, and I want to make it as solid as possible. I've always wanted to do a full on kit like this, and after seeing Jay's video and other Hotchkis stuff going on Falcons, Camaro's, etc., I put some money aside to do just that. Honestly, it was very expensive, and I thought about that every step of the install, lol.

I'm curious about the quick ratio steering box you used. Any more details on that?

·
Registered
253 Posts
On the quick-ratio steering box, look up Redhead in Seattle. You'll need to send them a core, otherwise you'll pay more.

The box I bought was a Ford unit but it had updated internals (looked the same otherwise). Bolts directly in as normal.

On '66 Galaxies, manual steering gearbox ratio is 20-1 and PS is higher (don't recall exactly, but might be 24-1). They turn lock to lock about 4-4.5.

The quick ratio Redhead box I installed is 16-1, turning 3.5 lock to lock. Definitely provides more road feel & responsiveness.

If you go that way, get a good alignment thats tuned for your car & it's handling. Also, I wouldn't go too much lower on the ratio for my setup as handling can get "squirrely", but not sure with Hotchkis.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good to know. Thanks for the info!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts