Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same products(with a few exceptions), same prices, same handling fee, same shipping. Both place the most emphasis on products for GM. I suspose that is where the market is. Is one an outlet for the other or do they both respresent the same big distributor in the sky? I know Summit has several store fronts. I'm not sure about Jeg's. If they were real competitors, I would think they would try and compete.
There are hundreds of Ebay stores that sell for one huge conglomerate, hence the no-pickup-from-the-seller clause. They sell the product cheap, but they rip you with the shipping and handling fee. Probably how the seller makes his money. Never touches the product. Is this how you make millions working from home?

·
Registered
991 Posts
summit and jegs the same company? Last I knew, not in a million years, they are direct competitiors thats why the pricing is the same, you have to win with service. Its ALL bout the before and after service. If they are the same company thats bug news to me.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yeah I agree with Woody1, I don't think they're the same company... I've ordered parts from both, and it's a very different experience between Summit and Jegs... not to say one is better than the other... just completely different web designs, Jegs has MUCH more focus on drag racing products, packing is different, and invoices are totally different (Summit has their own custom paper, Jegs looks like it came out of a laser printer with standard paper).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Different companies. One of them has better shipping prices and delivery times. I think it's Jegs, but might have that backwards. Been awhile since I ordered anything from either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dotcentral on 10/21/06 12:29am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little followup: I receive my order today from Jeg's , may I say supper fast shipping, and I was short three guide plates(looked as though the orginal package from Crane had been opened). I called customer service, talked to a nice female, told her my problem and was told to hold for a second. A couple of seconds later she said she would ship me eight more and for me to just keep the five I had received. I tried to tell her I only needed three, but she insisted. Can you beat that! I didn't think that kind of service still existed. They've got my vote so far.
I've never had to deal with Summit Customer for several years now, but I bet they are as good. Ford Performance should take some lessons from these people.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
summit has exerlent customer service too,i get my orders in 7-10 days which i think is pretty good.i had a problem with a bolt kit for a sbf being a few short and after firing them an email i recieved a whole complete kit free too,you cant beat that sort of service,as for jegs and summit being one company,who knows....

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2006-10-20 10:26, retyler wrote:
A little followup: I receive my order today from Jeg's , may I say supper fast shipping, and I was short three guide plates(looked as though the orginal package from Crane had been opened). I called customer service, talked to a nice female, told her my problem and was told to hold for a second. A couple of seconds later she said she would ship me eight more and for me to just keep the five I had received. I tried to tell her I only needed three, but she insisted. Can you beat that! I didn't think that kind of service still existed. They've got my vote so far.
I've never had to deal with Summit Customer for several years now, but I bet they are as good. Ford Performance should take some lessons from these people.
Same experience I had with them as well. Bought 2 new Hoosier 31.5x14-15 slicks...FedEx lost both, one showed up 2 days later and the day before the races. I could have run one more day on mine...but they didn't need to know that. The other was "lost"...FedEx customer service couldn't locate it, so I called Jegs back...2 brand new Hoosiers to my door next day (actually I called the friday and I had the tires Saturday) no shipping, no charges...and the cust. service representative told me to keep the one I have and if the other one shows up to send it back. Other one showed up the next week...but FedEx never came to collect it. That was about 5 months ago. I will hang onto them for spares....and will definetly do some more business with Jegs as I feel as if I owe them at least that much for letting me keep the tires ($500+ value). I won't need 'em for a while but its nice to know I have a couple spares.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Jegs is good ... I usually order through Jegs

Since I live in Nevada and Summit has operations in Nevada ... I pay sales tax to Summit, but not Jegs.

Jegs fairly recently moved to the two day shipping deal ... that's great for service.

I get the immpression Jegs handles a WIDER VARIETY of stuff than Summit ... but that could simply be a misconception on my part too.

Definately NOT the same company ... if they were??? ... Why the helk compete with yourself and why force yourself to print two catalogs why market two names to make one bottom line ... ETC ETC ETC ...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Those big warehouses are great if you need no tech help, if your a guy that needs tech help and wants to chat with other ford minded guys, the smaller dealers are definately the way to go.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The only factoid of similarity that I'm certain of between the two companies is that Summit's headquarters are an hour from me in Tallmadge, Oh and Jeg's is 140 miles away in Columbus. I pay sales tax no matter which I buy from so that's a no-win situation either way for me....

I've never bought much from Jeg's primarily because Summit is closer. I can drive there for about 9 bux and have the instant gratification of bringing my parts home NOW...
I've never had a problem with their in store or by phone customer service. If you average out both companies prices on all items, there's little difference. The biggest thing that I dislike about both is that they drove every mom-n-pop speed shop around here out of business many years ago. I really miss the trips to Kerr's Speed Shop in Youngstown back in the late '60s, bs-ing with the owner, machinist, engine builder and cashier Pappy Kerr and seeing the newest parts like the first tunnel ram intake in town, stuff that I'd only read about in the car mags.

Shoot, about half of y'all here are too young to have ever been to a REAL speed shop....

Jan...feelin' old tonight

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-10-20 20:34, tbirdchick wrote:

The biggest thing that I dislike about both is that they drove every mom-n-pop speed shop around here out of business many years ago. I really miss the trips to Kerr's Speed Shop in Youngstown back in the late '60s, bs-ing with the owner, machinist, engine builder and cashier Pappy Kerr and seeing the newest parts like the first tunnel ram intake in town, stuff that I'd only read about in the car mags.
This is what I mean, call up and ask them ford specific stuff, all they can do is direct you to the manufacturer, which is obvious. And there not the cheapest on alot of stuff. And theres alot of stuff they dont carry that you can only get at a small dealer. Go buy an NX nitrous kit at summit, you get raped for about an extra 80 bucks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just got an order from summit. Ordered it sometime sunday, and recieved it Wednesday i think. I coudlnt think how fast it came. I also have to say Free shipping on three boxes, one being 66 pounds. Not much can beat that.

All i can say about jegs is that i dont like their website. I think Summit's is much more user friendly. That is why i have only ordered from summit i guess.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
When I lived in hillbilly sticks Wyoming, Summit would add $2 to the handling charge on my orders because it was a rural area. I must admit that I was not able to detect any special packaging. I was also unable to determine that any special handling took place.
I still order from Summit and Jegs, it's just a matter of which website I happen to go to first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I buy from both Jegs and Summit. Jegs, it seems, stock most items in the catalog at their Delaware,Ohio warehouse. Summit has a better (larger) selection, however, it seems that a lot of items they list are not stocked by them and must be aquired from the manufacturer first Ever seen on the web page the date when shiping can be expected? I've ordered parts that have taken 2 months to get. Go figure.
Side Bar. In Columbus this spring I stopped at the Jegs in Reynoldsburg for some stuff. I use the K&N Gold oil filters on my 5.4 Expedition. only $8.95. they only had one. I pay $12.95 at A***Zone and AdvanceA***. Thought I'd stock up and save! Guess not!
Anyway, living here in Ohio I pay the sales tax like it or not.

Duane
MCMLXIV Fairlane

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have always said they where one of the same. The catalogs are very much the same and the prices are very much the same. It makes sense to me to create your own competition, if some one gets mad at Jegs than you would order from Summit. They are both very popular and have the lowest prices. The Ford dealer in my neighborhood have told me many times that Summit sells many of there parts cheaper.
Thats my story and I,m sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Dealt with both and have had no issues with either. Fast shipping and lower than most prices.
The few small shops we have in El Paso are mostly chevy related. Pretty much anything ford has to be ordered. I do get great service because the guys dont act biased. (One guy used to own a roadrunner and a 69 CJ mach 1) I can talk any of the big three with them and they listen.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I live one state over from Ohio where both are located... Well, Summit is now in three states...

Anyway, if Summit has it in stock, I almost always get it the very next day if I order by noon. Jegs takes two days.

Only problem.... Now that Summit is spread out over three states, they don't keep as much IN STOCK at the Ohio location. Sometimes I have to wait a few days for parts to trickle in from Nevada or Georgia. If it's not in stock in Ohio, I generally order from Jegs.

Both have excellent customer service.

A bit of advice....

If you are ordering, DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF and have all the part numbers ready. Don't rely on a phone jockey who may or may not know your particular car to look up the part in the 10 seconds he has to do so. Have your order figured out before picking up the phone.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts