Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a few pics before but with some encouragement from others, I figured it was time to post a build thread as it is now in progress (progress definition here is a loosely used and debatable term). I am hoping to share and get ideas from others, as I have been inspired by many of your post over these past two years.
This project started in 2014 with the purchase of my “no rust, solid”, 1964 Galaxie 500 (lol). I shipped it to Classic Creations of Central Florida, where Pat and Merv had excellently previously restored my 1965 Mustang GT fastback.
The bad news for my Gal began when I found the rear window area was completely rotted out in the lower section to the trunk. I learned from Galaxie Steve in Arizona that this is called a “tulip panel”. Galaxie Steve cut one up for me and shipped this to Florida to being the transplant surgery.
Here’s the thumbs of my car when bought, then with the “new” rust free tulip panel installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next came more good news, which I found out that all those “extra parts” that came in the trunk of my car were hiding years of bondo, fiberglass, tar paper and who knows what instead of a trunk floor.
The lower fenders had primer and were also hiding neglect. (Merv and Danny do amazing stuff with sheet metal fab when parts can't be sourced)!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next came the tear down, frame off, and blast of the frame and body. Frame and parts were then powder coated gloss black.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here’s the current status.
While all this was going on in Florida, I was busy with the help of my buddie Jared (Groff Motorsports in Atlanta) building my 9 inch rear (nodular 31 spline 3.89 detroit locker w/ stranger axles). The poor old 9 had what looks to be 50 year old mystery gear oil/sludge. I am very happy with how it turned out after blasting, welding new big ford end housings, fitting the brakes/lines, powder coating, and final assembly.
In Detroit, Barry of Survival Motorsports is putting together the heart of the beast which is an all-aluminum 427 side oiler (stroked to 482) with survival heads, and dual quads.
Ultimately plans call for the 427 dual quad with baldys, 427 original headers, a built C6, Borgeson PS, large wilwoods discs on all 4 corners with hydroboost, quickor garage front and rear sway bars, eaton 6 leaf rear springs and rare parts control arm and offset shaft replacement.
Will most likely go back to original red exterior with black XL interior. Hoping to fit 17x8 with 235/45/17 fronts with 285/40/18 rears. (I hope those have enough sidewall as I personally don’t like the rubber band look).
That's it for me for now. Please post pics/suggestions!!
Thanks,
Jose

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Awesome Build....:tup:

I'm watching both you and Nytling....:grin2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Galaxie Steve is a good guy to know if you need Galaxie parts. He seems to like 63 & 64's the most. When I was by his place last month picking up some parts for my 61 Starliner he was working on a 63 fastback that looked like it was going to be a killer machine when he's finished with it. He's got a beautiful 60 Starliner that he brings to shows here in Kingman Az. Great guy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Impressive Jose.
I'm pretty certain your build is what the rest of us would do with a much larger budget.

Keep the progress pictures coming, and let us know how the Borgeson steering works when you finally get to driving it around.

Drew

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, finally made some albeit slow progress to report. Shop has finished with all the rust repairs and body work. Car was shipped to the painter and now actually has some color! Hopefully have it all painted before year end.

Patience is as hard to come by as money!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got painted and is heading back to get assembled. Here's the latest pics/progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, been a while since last post of my Gal leaving the painter on a flatbed.

Well as my luck would have it, a flying large piece of sheet metal hit the flatbed and bounced all over my freshly painted car on the way to the shop. Had to get her resprayed after battling with insurance companies.

She is now all done paint wise and starting to go back together.

Btw, there is a ton of stainless and alum trim on these beasts to polish! Oh yeah, and Barry R finished my aluminum 482 dual quad. Here she is on the dyno and later in the crate waiting for the car to come home. Getting close!!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Beutifull car about made sick to see the damage and it ain't even mine, but glad you got it back on track.
Curious about your engine build specifics and how it did on the dyno?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sgettin,

Thank you!

It did 581hp at 5800 and 580lbs tq at 4800, has 500lb tq at 3000 so pretty flat tq and should pull the galaxie good off the line and cruise nicely. It exceeded my expectations as I wanted over 570 on both hp/tq with "good street manners".

It will have a c6 with a gear vendors and 3:89 rear.

Jose

·
Registered
303 Posts
Darn those are pretty good numbers that car will be a blast to drive especially with the gear vendor. I'm jealous I currently have 2.75:1 rear gear and c6 behind a 521 so i can cruise at 80 but would love a gear vendors.
What compression ratio is your engine? Are your heads aftermarket or vintage iron?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's got 10.5:1 compression and Barry's Survival Alum heads with the tunnel wedge intake. Can't wait to get this together and finally drive it. Going to be a 5 year wait. I have actually started a 67 Shelby convertible GT500 clone project in the mean time and it might be done quicker (the body shop that does my work specializes in classic mustangs so they do those in their sleep). Now I have to get moving on rebuilding the Galaxie's original 390 so I have a motor to go in the Mustang! This will be my first FE build I do myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts