Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I now work in a place where I can take out other peoples cars and drive that at my leisure somewhat before I had never been tempted and always wondered why people would go joy riding in someone elses property anyways one of those SLR Mercedes supercars came into my work the other day for me to park * I am a valet person here in vegas* and then I understood why some people would do it I didnt take his car out but really really really wanted to just go around the block a few times.

Anyways has anyone ever gone joyriding back in their youth and if not what car would you just have to go for a little ride in if you had the chance?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I used to drive cars back to the dealers lot from the car auction @ $15 per car. The cars usually ranged from muscle car to high end sports cars. A few of the ones I remember in particular were a early 90's 911 porsche, pontiac firebird, pontiac formula 400, late 90's jaguar, a few dodge trucks and a mercedes here and there. oh and 1 bmw was pretty quick from what I remember.

I actually got fired because luck just so had it that the formula 400 car ran out of gas on the main drag downtown after seeing what it could do on the freeway. Downtown was not exactly on the way back to the lot from the car auction . I had to call my boss to let him know his pontiac was sitting on the side of the road, downtown on a friday night with an empty gas tank and I didn't have a penny in my pocket and there wasn't even a gas station for miles.

needless to say he was a little pissed when I finally roll into the lot the next morning around 11 am....

·
Registered
730 Posts
First let me say that if I turned the keys to my new high end Mercedes/Mustang/BMW...whatever over to some young buck & I found out he was out joy riding, I'd whip his a$$ - no questions asked. There's no excuse for that kinda stuff.

That said, man, I could tell you some stories. While in my sr. year of high school (1975-1976), I was on the 'work release' program where I'd go to school 1/2 a day then go to work for a 1/2 a day. I had a job as a lot boy, parts runner, mechanic's helper in the used car department at Bob Tedd Datsun in Fairfax, Va.

The 280Zs were the hot ticket, so we had all kinds of muscle cars/sports cars comming in all the time as trade in's. I could generally hop in most any car on the lot to go fetch parts or supplies. One of my favorites was an orange 69 or 70 Cougar elimenator with a 4 speed (got spoken to about my agressive departures once). But my favorite story was when a new car salesman brought a 69 Buick GS over to the used car side. He left the car running & walked into the office as I was walking out. I muttered something about going to get parts. I backed the GS up, put it in low & fishtailed out of the lot then immediately fishtailed out on to the main road - like a turn to the right, a fast left then a right onto rt 50, never letting off the gas. Man that car would scoot & roast the tires to boot.

Well, after a couple of detours and much more tire roasting fun, I made it back to the dealership where Bob Tedd himself, my boss, the used car manager, the new car salesman and some stranger were waiting for me.

It turns out the new car salesman had brought the car over for an appraisal for a customer who wanted a 280Z. He saw the whole thing from the showroom. Needless to say, we didn't get the sale. I didn't get fired, but I sure got yelled at.

Like I said before...I have a bunch of stories from my days at the Datsun dealer...Picture being 17 years old & being asked to move 10 brand new 280Zs from the dealership over to the storage lot (about 1/2 mile as the crow flies, but lots of turns & a traffic circle along the way - can anyone say drifting contest?).

Rick

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the key to joyriding I would assume is not getting caught so you dont get into trouble. I didnt take the Mercedes out but i really really wanted too no biggie I have been out in a few 427 Cobra's and Gt-40 I want one so bad

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I was in Germany the first year the Dodge Daytona's came out. I was looking at one at a lot there and the speedo was broke in it and it only had like 20 miles on it. Probably had a cruise on the autobahn or something. Obviously it wasn't the digital speedo.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On 2006-12-01 15:40, norcal500 wrote:
I used to drive cars back to the dealers lot from the car auction @ $15 per car. The cars usually ranged from muscle car to high end sports cars. A few of the ones I remember in particular were a early 90's 911 porsche, pontiac firebird, pontiac formula 400, late 90's jaguar, a few dodge trucks and a mercedes here and there. oh and 1 bmw was pretty quick from what I remember.
I'm a car hiker for primarily one Ford dealership, though occasionally I drive for others. We do more dealer swaps and dealer buys than auction runs. I've driven every '06 and '07 Ford except for the GT and a bunch of Mustangs. I'm not going to lie and say that I drive these cars with kid gloves, but I don't abuse them to the point of chancing destroying anything nor anything dangerous. But I will say that my cars are well broken in by the time they reach our store....

BTW, we make a bit more than 15 bux a trip now....

My lifelong goal is to tear down a mall and build a race track.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tbirdchick on 12/3/06 6:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Me either. Ever.

I took my black 67 Mustang Coupe to prom. Was sort of cool pulling up with all those jet black limo's before and behind us, and this monster of a black mustang with an Alex Van Halen drum solo for an idle in between them. Anyhow, I pull up, and the valet kid opens my door and is just standing there. I'm looking at this kid, no older than me, going...'Not on your life buddy'. My date starts freaking out that I'm going to embarrass her...so I looked at him and pointed at my tach. I said 'This is a memory tach. If...when I get back in my car...this tach shows me that YOU have gone over 1800rpm, for any reason, I am going to find you, and kick your pimply little a$$ all the way to your parents house.' The kid had an adams apple like a mule, and I could see him gulp lol, my date's shaking her head and muttering. I get out, watch him get in, push the clutch in, grind it going into first (stiff racing clutch, early 90's), push the clutch in farther, then proceed to stall it as he's about to take off...eyes intently on the tach instead of ANYTHING else. That was enough for me lol. I turned to his buddy and told him if he didn't get a manager over to park my car, I was gonna go off. Manager finally came (yes I'm holding up limo's lol, my date was PISSED), he was an older gentleman, complimented my car...restarted it, and drove it off. I stood in front watching lol, I could see where he parked it....heard him free rev it a few times, then it shut off. When we left, he told me he had one a lot like it as a kid, and that I was damn lucky my dad got me one. I told him I'd built it from a 250$ shell. He was duly impressed =p.

Here's the car:

I've never grown out of not valet parking my car, whether my wife gets pissed about it or not =p.

Cris

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I had had the coolest summer job when I was in High School. I was a Youth aid for the California Highway Patrol. I worked with this Australian Mate named Phil and I was assigned to assist him I did all the little things mostly fluid levels, filling fire extinguishers, washing and detailing cars, tire pressure ect.. but the coolest part was pick up and delivery of cars from the dealer ship 15 miles away by freeway that did all of the major repairs. This is like 1970 when they were running the 440 Dodge Polaras. Can you say "Bad Ass"! These cars were big but they were no joke.
On weekends they use to take them out on occasion to calibrate the spedomometers by dropping a 5th wheel attached to the rear bumper and not only would that have on a little print out the exact speed in five mile increments but also a maximum speed reading . Some of the cars were hitting 180mpg on average they were in the high 160 to mid 170 range.
I believe the State bought the cars from the lowest bidder when they were setting up these fleets. In 1972 the polaras were out and the Mercury Montego was it’s replacement. Can you say “Dog”? Sure they would hit 140mph and did not have half the throttle response the Polaras had, might be why most of the officers started winning because no one wanted to drive them. But slowly the Polaras were taken off like when they hit 120k or so on the odometer and were sent off to auction.
Well needless to say I got to stomp them all a few times, lit a few skins, turned the red light on once and actual talked through the little squelch box wit the micro phone.
All of the CHP officers in that town knew me and for a number of years I could do no wrong. I remember getting pulled over a few times in my First Falcon by these guys and then just standing on the side of the road having a laugh about it and getting away with just a warning.
Ahhhhhhhh, good time....
Ras Daniel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts