Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took the car out today after work went to the gas station and filled her up with petrol. On the way back home took the long way where there is a long straight away it shifted into high gear so I put the pedal down and it about left the tires on the ground it jumped so hard. It almost felt like the transmission down shifted rpms jump and seem like it shifted up again. Thought maybe throttle was hitting on the air cleaner recently changed my setup but checked it when I got home and it wasn't hitting. So this happened several times before I got home don't know what the hell it could be any suggestions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
So took the car out today after work went to the gas station and filled her up with petrol. On the way back home took the long way where there is a long straight away it shifted into high gear so I put the pedal down and it about left the tires on the ground it jumped so hard. It almost felt like the transmission down shifted rpms jump and seem like it shifted up again. Thought maybe throttle was hitting on the air cleaner recently changed my setup but checked it when I got home and it wasn't hitting. So this happened several times before I got home don't know what the hell it could be any suggestions.
Kickdown???

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds like your transmission kick down kicked it into "passing gear". It does literally kick it into a lower gear at higher RPM's for aggressive acceleration to pass on a two lane with. Sounds like it did what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kind of thinking that after thinking about it but it seemed like it was not taking much throttle to do it generally you have to get on it pretty good for it to kickdown. The first time it did it I was getting into it but there after it was doing it with not much throttle all of this was at higher speeds. I don't know maybe concerned about nothing but I never noticed it being so sensitive before.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Have you verified your kick-down linkage is still properly adjusted?

David

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PSIG I think you may be on to something there rebuilt the carb about a month ago and haven't really driven it much since maybe I didn't get the linkages back in the right spot. I knew I posted on here for a reason to make me realize when I'm being a dumbass and the answer is right in front of my face lol.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, check the adjustment. You said in the original post that the linkage was hitting the air cleaner so you changed the configuration...it might have thrown off the adjustment.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts