Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I know some have used Explorer rear bars. I haven't done a '63 so I don't know all the possible donors, but I know there are several. BTW - condolences for your situation and hopes all will improve. You have a well-stocked storehouse of knowledge and I'm glad that you are here and still kicking in defiance.

David

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
What he ^ said! I don't think i've heard anyone mentioning a dif bar but i also have an awful memory!! I only remember using the wagon version rather than the stock one.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I don't want to mislead you, as I don't know if the dimensions from year to year vary with the years on Gals, but I've heard 1995-2001 repeatedly. If it were me, I'd grab the ol' tape measure, draw-out your basic Gal dimensions, and spend a some time at the local wreckers. Sometimes there's an option that's better due to mounting points or shape that others haven't heard about - including other brands. I''ll bet a New Yorker or a Corsica would be worth a look. But, maybe not. I guess my point is that there are lots of things folks have found to work for a purpose, but that doesn't mean it is actually the best available option - at least for you.

David

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was planning, just hoped someone with certain prior experience might have some info. Also, thanks for your comments above. I'm not "there" yet, and maybe never will, but trying to recover and make the most of things. Doesn't seem to be any major physical issues anymore, just "fuzzy" and slowed in the mind. In a few weeks I'll have a follow up and see where the swelling/healing is.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
If you know the differences between years for Gal's, this thread and perhaps this one may help where Mark describes the changes in handling with sway bar changes to his Fairlane. I know - different car design, but the concepts are cool.

David

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I don't know about the Explorer rear bars, but I do know that no other full size Ford ever had a front bar like the 60 thru 64 Galaxies. I used Quickor front and rear bars on my 64' Galaxie. Just be aware that it's not a simple bolt on job. Be prepared to R&R at least one lower control arm to be able to complete the swap. The end result will be worth it. Don

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
The way the bar is shaped. you cannot just pull it out. If you look, the two bends on either side that go over the lower arm then you will see what I'm talking about. I learned this back in 65 and I'm sure others will chime in on this subject. If you have plans to re-build the front end, this would be the time to replace the bar. Either way, it can be a PITA. Oh, from your earlier post, I wonder why Burton Auto doesn't show the XL door panels in their catalog? Once the panel is off, they are easy to change. I saved mine by a good cleaning followed by a light brushing with "0000" steel wool. I then waxed them and gave them a coat of wheel clear coat. Not a heavy coat, just enough dry smoothly. Hope this helps some. Don

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh? Not sure where that came from? Twice you lost me Lol! I sure see what you mean about that bar though, man what a whacked out design. It is enough to drop the lower control arms by popping the ball joints loose, or do you actually need to pull the whole arm off?

Oh, from your earlier post, I wonder why Burton Auto doesn't show the XL door panels in their catalog? Once the panel is off, they are easy to change. I saved mine by a good cleaning followed by a light brushing with "0000" steel wool. I then waxed them and gave them a coat of wheel clear coat. Not a heavy coat, just enough dry smoothly. Hope this helps some. Don

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Does anyone have any more information on the Explorer rear bar? I might like to do this on my 62.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You actually have several options on a larger front bar (at least you do for a 60-64). You can purchase one of the aftermarket kits. The easiest way because you do not have to a lot of fab work. But you will have to remove the lower control arm on at least one side to get it installed. You will also likely need to extend the bar bushing mounting plate outward from the frame about an inch. This is because the larger diameter bar bends slightly differently than the smaller one does. I have had to do this twice using different aftermarket bars. No big deal just takes time.

A salvage yard is usually not a good solution for front bars? The only cars that I have found that have large bars are the high performance Chevy's of the late 60's early 70's and they will not fit on a Galaxie. You usually find larger bars on Trucks but they are usually found without the bends necessary to fit on a Galaxie with mounting them so low you have clearance issues.

The rear bars are much easier to make work but again an aftermarket kit will likely be easier if you don't have a lot of experience working with these bars as you get a complete kit usually made to work with you make and model. Be aware however that I have the instructions for rear bar kits to be severely lacking in information and I have not used one that provided any photos of what the final installation should look like.

There are also rules for adding larger bars especially when you are adding a rear bar where one did not previously reside. I don't know the formula for getting the balance correct but it does involve knowing the modulus of elasticity of the bar and the arm/mounting point length. Information that may be hard to come by using a used bar?

The kits I have installed on the 60 and 61's I have built usually come with a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" front bar and a 3/4" rear bar. This combination will make a 60-64 Conner very flat but you sacrifice some ride quality especially with the larger 1 1/2" bars.

Scott...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts