Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Torino GT with a radiator full of holes. The local rad shop says its better to just replace, but at $400 for a new unit like stock I need a slightly better alternative. It's not like it is a rare car and needs an NOS rad, I just need it to work til money matters improve. Any suggestions of what later model Ford I could pillage at the pick and pull for a suitable radiator and maybe even electric fan conversion? Thanks in advance for your help,

Matt

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had the same issue with my 78 Ranchero. Seems that radiator shops don't fix them any more. They sold me a new one ~$200, IIRC.

Later, looking in Summit, I saw that I could have gone to a heavy duty aluminum unit for not much more.

Buyer's regret, I guess.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Look At Champion Radiators on Ebay. Give them a call to avoid the ebay charges and you get a radiator with a satisfaction, money back guarantee that is made right and fits with no problems. The aluminum radiators can be purchased with or without an electric fan.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Look At Champion Radiators on Ebay. Give them a call to avoid the ebay charges and you get a radiator with a satisfaction, money back guarantee that is made right and fits with no problems. The aluminum radiators can be purchased with or without an electric fan.
car-parts.com

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Summit brand Radiators are in face a Northern rad in a summit box. Even says Northern right on the core top. GREAT PIECE! No glues, etc, fully welded

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
As other have said, the Summit and Jeg's radiators are nice units. I bought the Jeg's because they had it in stock and it was only around $150 for their two row 1" tube aluminum that fit my Falcon. For my particular fit I had to have a "GM" unit due to the layout of the water necks and one had to be turned 180 degrees to clear my alternator. All said and done I still only had about $200 in it after the modification.

It keeps my +/- 450 HP small block running at 165-170 degrees in 100 degree heat all day long in standing traffic or crusing. Great buy!

John

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 68 Torino GT with a radiator full of holes. The local rad shop says its better to just replace, but at $400 for a new unit like stock I need a slightly better alternative. It's not like it is a rare car and needs an NOS rad, I just need it to work til money matters improve. Any suggestions of what later model Ford I could pillage at the pick and pull for a suitable radiator and maybe even electric fan conversion? Thanks in advance for your help,

Matt
$400? Really? I'd never go back to that ass-hat. O'Rielly's, Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys...all the generic big box parts stores can order you one. Takes 1-2 days for them to get it "from the warehouse" but the quality isn't bad and the prices is usually at or below $200., or at least it was 2yrs ago when I last bought one.

Just checked and Advance has one for $159.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts