Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have is second gear which seems really strange. Park still works. I was just backing my car trailer up to my shop like I always do and it went pop.

The only backup I have is my motorcycle and not much help from anybody. No Christmas for me this year. I guess I'll have to put a heavy duty rebuilt on lay away for February or March. This really blows.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I could be something simple, like a piece of crud in your VB or governor. However, the only part that shows in the TS section of one reference for all your gears out but 2nd is the one-way clutch. If you pull the pan and don't find trash, I'll bet it's something simple. You're the type that could do a C4 teardown without problems. Get a box of parts from Bulkpart, a Bad Shoe video, and go for it.

David

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a bunch of calling around talking to shops I decided to have a "heavy duty" 4 x 4, trailer puller, rock crawler style rebuild done on my tranny. In addition to putting better parts in the thing they also change the valve body clamping pressures(shift kit, springs? don't know) so the transmission will hold gears better without trying to slip. That is something that is beyond my capabilities to know how to do. I don't think a patch up or even a stock rebuild kit will hold very long pulling my car hauler. This one didn't. I did install an external cooler on it too. At one point it blew transmission fluid out under the engine and smoked it on the exhaust. I don't know what did that, maybe blew the front seal? A couple weeks later the whole thing went poop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts