Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And have a couple questions

1 how to lower the back about 2-3 inches?
and the front a 1 inch?

2 what the biggest street type tires size you can fit under with it lowered as above?
tire size front and rear?
wheel size front and rear?
backspacing?

wanting it to look lower then stock, and level front and rear but not a low rider look. with wide meaty tires on deep dish wheels.

and any tire and wheel combo pic on a lowered truck would be appreciated thanks, jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is a '68 swb. Not lowered, but I have chrome smoothies on it, with tires in back just a bit taller and a bit wider than stock, fronts are just a little narrower and maybe a little shorter than stock.
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I could get the sizes and email you pics if you want. I could also measure the backspacing for the rear, I don't recall what it is. They're dished (offset outboard a couple inches), and that put them just about dead center of the rear wheel well.
Just let me know, I'll try to get back to you this weekend with pics, etc.
TC

·
Registered
87 Posts
i got a 72, same thing. lowered the front 3 and the rear 4 and it dont look too low. there are kits on the interent. the front wll require i-beam change, the rear will require shackles to bolt up the leafs different. will need new shocks front and rear.; onthe street i will run 275/60/15 which has about a 10.5" wide print and is about 28.5" tall... i happen to know because i just fit a set of street slicks, 29.3" tall and 13-13.5" wide. looks N-A-S-Teeee. there is only 1/2" clearance to the inside seam of where the bed welds to the wheel well, so for everyway driving with a tire that big, i'd cut and bang it flat out of the way. i am only using the slicks on the strip so i am leaving it as is. fits fine, no probs.

MAKE sure, if you buy custom rims the back spacing dont throw you off. i have 4 3/4" back spacing on 15" rims to accomodate my rear disks, anything different thelarge back tires wont fit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
p.s. check out the my pics icon above, i have a photo of the truck lowered as we talked about with street 245/60 fronts (i am going bigger now to 265/60) and 275/60 rears. there is also a shot of the street slicks, 295/65/15

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 71 shorty lowered 3 and 4. Lowered by removing leafs and cutting front springs, adding nitro shocks. It was cheap and looks great, surprisingly doesn't wear tires that fast either. I am running black powder coated 15X8.5 wheel vintiques steelies with 427 galaxy dog dishes. 275x60 in back 245x60 in the front. I did have to run a chain through the front control arms otherwise the spring fall out when you jack it up. Only complaint is payload is poop now, it only goes to cruise nights and car shows so I dont care. I can send pics if you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts