Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, just decided to upgrade from a 289 to a 347 short block that I got from TRE Performance. What kind of basic power upgrades am I looking at, in displacement alone?

I have an Edelbrock Performer intake, a 520 lift cam, and some ported/beefed up 289 heads i'm going to slap on there. Is it going to cook like I think it is?

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Yes, the stock heads are too small to properly ventilate 289ci. A head upgrade would provide huge dividends. I'm assuming it's a flat tappet cam. If so, the Edelbrock E-Street cylinder heads are their least expensive, and are made for streetable, flat tappet combos like yours.

One glaring thing you need to address... 347 stroker cranks are not all the same. Some are neutral balance, some are the older 28 oz-in external balance, and some are the later (1982-up) 50 oz. You NEED to verify which crank you have, as if it is not the 28, your engine will have a significant vibration once the 28 ounce harmonic dampner and flywheel are installed. This is a critical detail you need to address... and cannot be overlooked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the stock heads are too small to properly ventilate 289ci. A head upgrade would provide huge dividends. I'm assuming it's a flat tappet cam. If so, the Edelbrock E-Street cylinder heads are their least expensive, and are made for streetable, flat tappet combos like yours.

One glaring thing you need to address... 347 stroker cranks are not all the same. Some are neutral balance, some are the older 28 oz-in external balance, and some are the later (1982-up) 50 oz. You NEED to verify which crank you have, as if it is not the 28, your engine will have a significant vibration once the 28 ounce harmonic dampner and flywheel are installed. This is a critical detail you need to address... and cannot be overlooked.
What about some AFR heads? I've never bought heads before, do they have all the valves and springs already in them or will I need to transfer that over too?

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
What about some AFR heads? I've never bought heads before, do they have all the valves and springs already in them or will I need to transfer that over too?
Yes, stock 289 heads only have 126 cc intake ports, and they aren't that efficient of a design. They are too small for a warmed up 289.

AFR 165 or 185 would be ideal on that engine! Be sure to get them with springs for a flat tappet camshaft, if that's what you are running. I was just looking at the most budget friendly options.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts