Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just bought a '68 coupe off my friend. It's got a 289 2V and C4 trans. Body is good (no rust anywhere, no dents, primered dark grey), interior is good. Runs and drives great!

My friend used to basically daily drive this thing, but then one day the voltage regulator failed and it burnt up some wiring. He thought the harness was totally shot and needed to be replaced, so it sat neglected for the past 6 months. I offered to buy it, and it only took me 20 minutes to bypass a couple wires and get it to run. Ole 289 fired right up and ran good.

Tonight I pulled out the harness and completely rebuilt it, replacing the burnt up wires and also fixing some questionable "repairs" someone made a while back. Works good now!

I also pulled the plugs out and looked em over. They are in good shape but some previous genius gapped them to .045. I wasn't sure what the spec was but I knew that was way too much for this points car, and brought em down to .034. It runs good but still could probably use a good tune up.

In the foreseeable future, I'll fix what needs fixing on it, give it a nice tune-up, etc. I'll pull off the 1 7/8"
peashooter exhaust and install something better, like full 2 1/2" with H-pipe and some Flowmasters or something.

I figure I'll also hop up the 289 a little. I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on it, that's for sure, I just want to scrounge up some junkyard/swap meet parts and see what I can get out of it for cheap. I'm skilled with a die grinder and I can do a nice port job on the heads. I can swap on a nicer (4V) intake and carb. (I've got a new Edelbrock 600 carb laying around I could use.) I may install some headers if I can find a decent pair cheap enough. Might look into a cam swap. How well do you guys think this little motor will respond, and will I be pleased enough with it to avoid swapping in something bigger? (Never played with a SBF before, this is new to me!)

Thanks guys!

BTW I love this car, this is my first classic Mustang (I own an 84, a 98 GT convertible, and a big block '02 GT too) and they sure do have a lot of character and style. Turns heads everywhere I go, it's beautiful even in primer. What a great cruiser!

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
They're a runner. Has the engine been rebuilt or worked on at all? Otherwise you might want to drop the pan and install a new oilpump/shaft, rod/main bearings and timing gears. Cheap insurance for future HP boosts and takes a weekend to do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's ever had anything done to it, not certain of that though. Everything is original on this thing, down to the original radiator, etc. That's a good idea and I'll certainly do that. Swapping to electronic ignition is also high on the list too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys, a friend's wanting to trade me a freshly rebuilt 351W and known good AOD transmission. The motor has a torker II intake on it, which I'd probably sell or trade down to a performer or something. Obviously I'll need to tear down and inspect the motor before accepting. Assuming it's as good as described, I'm seriously considering swapping it in and retiring the 289.

My question is, what all's it going to take to bolt this thing in? Do I need different motor mounts or will my existing ones work? Will the 351's exhaust manifolds work, assuming I don't buy any headers? Will my 289's accessories and bracketry work on the 351, or do I need to go on a junkyard expedition? Will my stock radiator cool a mild 351?

Also, I have questions about the AOD. I have never played with one of those trannys before. Overdrive would be great, but am I better off sticking with the C4? Will the AOD last if I install a good (TransGo) shift kit in it? Will it fit the tunnel, and do I need to build a custom crossmember? Do I need to change yokes and shorten the driveshaft?

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Rad worked hack it, 351W will fit nicely in the 67+ bodies. AOD is a good trans if it's been done right. That will be the only part of the mounts that you'll have to change. They make a croosmember for the AOD to early Stangs. Bigger issue is does he have the carb/TV cable setup properly? Manifolds or headers is easy. Torker II sucks, Edelbrock Pref RPM/Weiand Sleath. What has been done to the 351W/AOD and why does he want to trade down on this deal. Unless he's going for build accuraticy it might be a little fishy. You're getting allot more then he is, why?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He bought a '74 Mustang II that was set up as a street/strip car. It's actually a pretty nice looking car, despite being a Mustang II. The guy he bought it from pulled his 9" out, put an 8" in, and pulled out his bad ass motor and replaced it with this motor and tranny.

The guy said it was freshly rebuilt, .040" over, and I'm not sure what else. Both the motor and tranny do look like they've just been rebuilt. I think he said the motor has been run and broken in, but not in this car. Only a couple things are hooked up, looks like it was just dropped in and bolted up. So none of the TV cable stuff is hooked up. I may not fool with the AOD, probably just set it aside for later and use the C4 for now.

My friend is wanting to trade me this for my 2.3 turbo motor/tranny/etc because he doesn't want to deal with trying to run the exhaust and stuff for that 351 in this tiny M-II, and my 2.3 will bolt right in there and haul ass. I'll pull the motor apart and inspect it first before I accept the trade. My friend is not trying to screw me, I know the history of the car since he's got it, but I gotta make sure the guy he bought it from was truthful.

I didn't understand you on the radiator, did you say it will work? And will my existing brackets, pullies, and alternator bolt up to the 351? Thanks for your help!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shiftless on 7/31/06 12:05am ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Radiator is to small for the 351W but there is avialable. The 351W and AOD will fit nicely and use Hedman headers 88300. Even with everything not hooked up you can do that now and not have to switch out later. As long as you know the history of the engine it shouldn't be to bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thank you. Now I am trying to think up the best plan for this motor swap. I want to do it quickly and cheaply. Really what I want is a mild-moderate, torquey street motor that sounds good and can hold its own on the street. Basically somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 HP.

I'll have to bite the bullet and buy those Hedman headers. I'll get the exhaust shop to run me some 2.5" piping with H-pipe. I've already got some 2.5" Aerochamber mufflers laying around, and some nice Meg's tips.

I've got a brand new 600 CFM Edelbrock (AFB-style) carb with electric choke. I think it'll be a good match for this engine's purpose, maybe a tad small if I do any more upgrades. I am not sure what cam this engine has in it, if it's got a mild one I'll keep it, but if it's wild I'll trade it off. Gonna trade off the Torker-II. Do you think the Performer RPM will work well on this combo or should I look for a Performer? I am interested to see what compression this engine is too.

Oh also I am going to port the heads myself, keeping the existing valves and springs. That ought to help it out some.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shiftless on 7/31/06 2:51am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts