Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shipment from Bulkparts arrived today, the Powerpack I had ordered was in it.
Interesting that the kolene steels in the powerpack have the slots in them but the regular kolenes I ordered did not.
Ordered it for my brothers car, his engine is closing in on 600 HP so I figured the insurance of the extra clutch would be good.

Very thin pressure plate but no snap rings which I thought were part of the kit. Got to find a place where I can get a selection of snap rings, my hoard is getting low.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Mario
I just got a few of those kits and you should have the snap rings .Mine all had the slot sor turbulator holes as they call them. Just check the holes,i went over mine to make sure there was no burrs on the holes and based on talk here used scotchbrite pad to smooth up the kolene coating.
I got both kits with the thick .175 pressure plate which i used in my own with a C5 drum just to have the thicker plate ,just my preference,but the .130 pressure plates are nice and thin.I'm doing a trans now with the thin one.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Last time I checked with Mark at Bulkparts he didn't have the Alto kit. What is the part number and how much does it cost?

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Hey Jim i get mine from Mikes transmissions at Lancaster which is close to you? Price is good compared to what i see on the net.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 3/15/06 11:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-03-14 17:41, Just Jim wrote:
Last time I checked with Mark at Bulkparts he didn't have the Alto kit. What is the part number and how much does it cost?
http://www.altousa.com/hppc.htm

Download the ctalog in PDF and all the part numbers are there. Bulkparts ordered it for me, took a week and then they shipped.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hi Mario, is it possible for you to post a pic of the steels showing the slots?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-03-15 11:25, cmf60 wrote:
Hi Mario, is it possible for you to post a pic of the steels showing the slots?
Thanks
Soon as I get them in the same place as my camera yes i will

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
On 2006-03-14 20:19, gregaust wrote:
Hey Jim i get mine from Mikes transmissions at Lancaster which is close to you? Price is good compared to what i see on the net.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 3/15/06 11:19am ]</font>
Hey Greg,Seems funny you would get the parts from Mikes,he's about 60miles from me.I might try Bulkparts like Mario suggested.Have to find the Alto number first.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Here is the Alto # Jim

http://www.altousa.com/np7.gif

Just the difference is the thickness of the P/plate

I got on the deal with Mikes since a friend of mine imports his race powerglides to here and we visited there last time i was over there.They give us good deals on the Alto and P.A stuff as well as he has some nice deep aluminium pans i've been using.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

As promised a pic of a turbulator kolene steel, sorry for the fuzzy pic, my camera does not do good closeups and i am a poor phototog.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks Mario......hhmmm wasn't what I was expecting to see, I thought it might be more like the spiral grooves in their frictions. I will ponder on their effectiveness.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Mmm,well the kit i used today had no snap rings either.They are not even listed on the instructions in this kit but the others i've used were,

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The parts are at my brothers place now but I did notice when i lloked at the frictions that they did have some gooves in them. looked like 2 straight lines cut across each side.
When i go to do the install I will try to get a pic.
I questioned bulkparts and I got 3 sets of instructions emailed to me until finally all reference to the snap rings was gone. Do not know why, Alto shows snap ring kits in their regular catalog so they are still available.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I bought one of those kits a couple years ago and didn't get any snap rings. I didn't really need any. The originals worked out anyway.
I wonder if Mark will start listing that kit on the Website?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mario, yes I noted those grooves some time ago when I got my original frictions. You are correct ...there are two on each face. You will also note that the actual diameter of the plates is larger than the "normal" frictions.....I think it works out to something like 15% more area than norm..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Damn!!....I wish I had a memory like that Greg, I had to do a search to find out what the figure was!?! I do know they are considerably more expensive after getting Jay to send some replacements out, something like 2 1/2 times the price of their normal frictions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The clutches in the powerpacks are actually AOD clutches. They are .100" larger in diameter. When I was at PRI last year I spent some time with Alto talking about the power pack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts