Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Nitto drag radials mounted and on the stang. I will get to test them out at the "Oldies but Goodies" at Woodburn this coming Saturday. The guys at the tire shop said they would be a little slick on the street untill they were broke in a bit, just guess I will have to break them in with a huge smokey burnout on Saturday, that is really going to suck.

Dragman are you going?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have Nittos on my 89,dont be suprised if you dont get the real "hook" until they are about 50% gone....LOL good luck,mine are 26's and hook fine now,but they ARE slick until you get some wear on them.
Jax

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of tire pressure do you run? How do you conduct the sacrificial laying of rubber pryor to staging?

The drag radials are a first for me, any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'll be there Sunday. You only gonna be there Saturday?

What size are the tires? Did you put them on your normal rims, or did you get a second set of wheels?

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 6/19/02 5:41pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
245-50-16, got them mounted on my Vintage45 rims, they look good.

I wont be able to Sunday, I dont think. You never know.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I run 15lbs on the left side,15.5 on the right,they hook hard at that pressure and still give you some top end,burn em up till you get about halfway down,then go easy,they will hook.
Jax

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took a little spin with em, and I can feel the traction difference already. I did not light them up but I can tell they will hook a lot better than the BFG`s.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When you say BFG do you mean BFG reg. type radials or their drag radials. Their drag radials i've had before on my 65 fastback and they did work very well. So I was wondering if these nittos were something better on a DRAG radial vs DRAG radial

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
How stable are drag radials at highway speeds? Say 70 to 80 MPH. After 60 these bias plys make me nervious.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nah he had regular radials on it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Sooooooooo,Like I said earlier,I've had the BFG drag radials before and was wondering if anyone else has had both of them to compare (BFG drag radial vs. NITTO drag radial).

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well all went good at the drags and I learned something about my car. It does not like overcast and cool, first pass Sunday 12.99, last pass in the heat 12.56, my 60' are better in the morning but I still cant drop the hammer at the start line it will break them loose, I did pull a best 1.93 with a 1.95 behind it.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Sounds like it must be running AWFULLY lean if it runs better in the heat... I'm assuming you had decent launches and didn't make any mistakes on all runs. It should DEFINITELY improve with cooler, denser air if the carb is set up right. Jet it up 2-3 sizes all around and see what happens.

It sure would be nice to see what it would do with REAL drag tires.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
So did you make it through a couple more rounds??

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went out in the second round, I got pitted up against a 17.45 second car so I had to sit and wait almost 5 seconds, you have time to think about **** in those 5 seconds.

Any way I put the hammer down and beat him to the line ( [email protected]) but I broke out on a 12.60 dial, he was so far ahead that I could not tell if I was going to beat him to the line or not so I kept my foot in it. Oh well.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Judging from the MPH, that thing is making some REAL power!

Using a short 26" tall slick, and launching and driving the car HARD would put it CLOSE to the 11 second zone. Every tenth saved in the first 60 feet is worth roughly 0.15 at the finish... and that car should be pulling high 1.6 second 60fts with good traction and a hard launch.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike please look at my post on riddles? thanks.

Any way I thought you should know that my best MPH is 111.57, that was with the BFG TA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts