Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep overtightening the 4 bolts on the two retaining saddles to the rear uni joint on my 9 inch...i went and snapped another bolt today...it really annoys me, but i have a bad habit of overtightening bolts

now i had to drill out the broken bolt, grind the rear face level and throw in a nut and bolt...why do they use such little bolts i dont know...i think i'll buy some high tensile ones so that i dont snap anymore, i hate it when a one hour job of changing uni joints becomes a wknd job because i stuffed up

maybe i should stop working out at the gym....

·
Registered
460 Posts
They are made that size because that is the torque/size needed to do the job. I like hanging off spanners to keep from coming off too, but this is not one of those areas.

Also, i don't know why your 9 inch has bolts, but it should have a u-bolt, with nylock nuts locking it. These can't be overtightened either, or you will distort the cap and early failure will happen. I just snug them up and let the nyloc nuts do their job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.