Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how strong a 460 block is. I know there are early and late model blocks, but can they take some serious abuse and not break? I am really only familiar with 5.0 blocks and how they split when you get above 450 horsepower, but what does it take to break a 460 and what are their weaknesses?

·
Registered
125 Posts
You should be plenty safe at 700 on any production block. If you add the $250 aftermarket 4 bolt mains to the center 3 journals you're looking at 800-900. If you need more than that then its time for an A460 or even better and IDT block.

·
Registered
991 Posts
several 500 inch motors of mine went 700+ on a D1 block

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Filled and 4 bolt caps you'll get away with 900+, but I've heard of people pushing well over 1000 but I haven't heard about any issues. Most guys when they start hitting these levels opt for an A460 or IDT block. It's cheap insurance as all the other stuff that goes with that level of hp is expensive. A typical Bracket 460 with well ported factoy iron heads can get into the 600-700hp range pretty easy, add some A460 heads and your in the 800-850 range.

As far as weakness in a 460 its probably the oiling system and the stock rods aren't the best.

If you looking for alot more information on 460's check out http://www.460ford.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 10/6/06 9:30pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 10/6/06 9:33pm ]</font>

·
Registered
991 Posts
the oiling is the same as the cleveland, a few "attention to detail" issues and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I was wondering because I was thinking about putting this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Big-Block-Ford-557-bbf-STROKER-SHORTBLOCK-FORGED_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQihZ020QQitemZ300034952315QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

topped with the Trick Flow heads in my Country Squire and going racing. I know I am gonna need a lot of power and torque to get that sucker moving and I want to spray it also. I figure at around 5,500 pounds, it'll need to make as much power as possible. I was also wondering if at that weight would 35 spline axles be enough if I were to push it into the tens? I am just getting things together now so I can start putting it together over the Winter. I have never put together a car that is this heavy, although I will be lightening it up as much as possible. Why a wagon you ask? Why not? Anyways, I am also new to the big block thing, so any ideas on intake, cam, carb and gears would be welcome. Thanks, Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 10/7/06 4:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
125 Posts
everything will be big. Victor intake for a 4500 carb (though TFS is supposed to be releasing an equivalentthat should be an improvement), 1050 dominator carb. Solid roller 260-270 at .050 700" lift. The TFS heads are good heads for a standard valve placement head. That should get you close to 700+/- hp with 93 octane. and not have to spin it past 6500. Lem at BF Evans Ford is a great guy to deal with on all kinds of parts and he is well versed in those TFS heads and all other things BBF. Outstanding prices and support too. He's always over at 460ford.com Got My Kaase scj heads from him, had them bowl ported and flowed. Quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I would not use the RPM stuff, and would also not buy a pre-assembled short block and pay for shipping.

Why not purchase a 4.5" stroke +.030 bore kit from Adney at Performance Crankshaft, INC in Detroit?

You'll be WAY ahead in price, not to mention quality of parts (SCAT vs. RPM).

I recommend Adney because I got my 545 kit from him and everything was great, and his price was better than any of the other SCAT kits I found.

BTW, use the 4.5" stroke and 6.8" rod if you can.

Greg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/point92mach/DSC02792a.jpg</a> " BORDER="0" WIDTH="384" HEIGHT="188">

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GregP on 10/7/06 8:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Greg, I'll have to check that out. I am going to have a friend help me put together the shortblock. I have heard the Scat stuff is better quality but I was just looking on eBay to see if that was a decent shortblock. You think I could put a shortblock together myself for less than $3,000 and with better parts?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yes.

In my case, the rotating assembly was 1,400 ish, block cost 400.00 (brand new in box), machine work was about 600.00.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Didn't say anything when this topic was hot, 'cause I wasn't too sure what your real question was.

You can break anything, if you push it hard enough. The upper limit of 429/460 is not that hard to find with a blower and fuel.

On a street engine, with good machining, balancing and quality parts - driving it with some sense - you can make and drive around with 800 hp on a 2 bolt block.

There were several guys that proved that with sub 10 sec times in the 1/4 pulling land yachts (near or above 4000 lb, with automatics) still driving them on the street and seeing some real, out of town driving, freeway miles. a Pagoda Blue (Green?) '63 Galaxie comes to mind! Not to mention an Ivy color '65 Galaxie

As they say in the car commercials..."Your mileage may vary".

If you can't get 500 + hp out of a 460, with cam, heads and carburetor ... then you ain't trying very hard. With decent aftermarket, ported heads (A-460, Kasse CJ's, SCJ's, BT's), Vic Jr, 4500 Dominator, roller cam and compression - or nitrous oxide …you could be on the door to of the Magic Grand…done right. Now, you start debating jus’ exactly what is, is! &#61514; …as in – is it streetable?

Thus my reluctance ... When you say how much can it take? It depends on what you want it to do and how long you want it to do it. After all, just like the GM guys keep saying - Its a truck motor, built Ford Tuff!

We's havin' Fun yet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 10/8/06 2:40am ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts