Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I took the big plunge!

The deal is done,I pick it up in less than two weeks from Ohio.

Its a pristine Florida car that was a 500-XL model when new.It was converted to a "7 Litre" with all the factory pieces installed.

It has a completly redone powertrain and rear axle assembly in it too.

Its a 0.30 428 CID mill with mostley stock internals,it has some megabuck tube headers that are real $$$ because of the Galaxie and the 428 T-Bird engines exhaust bolt pattern.

It got a absolutly flawless dark green bucket console interior with all the factory correct 7 Litre trim pieces. Its also got the cool factory shifter too.

I think the guy said it had a 3.70 gear with traction lock,but he might have said 3.50?

The 4-speed was gone through 20,000 miles ago,he even had the shifter rebushed at the same time.

The guy Im buying it from is a total "perfectionist" he has every dime he has spent on the car with names and part numbers documented in a huge ring binder that goes with the car.

Its that light greenish gold color with a dark green interior.

There was so much about this car that was so much "out of the norm" that I had to buy it,I dont care that its not a real factory issued "7-liter" it has all the stuff I like on it so all it is missing is the 7-Liter vin #.

Its about 10 hours away,Ill be going in around two weeks to pick it up.

I have to plan this trip to include a stop at te Crites factory to pick up the new "Teardrop" hood for this car.

Ill also hang around a bit and grab some pictures of the Crites musclecar collection for this site.

Here is a picture of the new 66 Galaxie 428 4-speed 7 Litre.

I will be cruising this new Galaxie at Woodward 2002! See ya there!

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock-White Lightning
66 Galaxie "7 Litre" 428 4-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 3/2/02 1:07pm ]</font>

·
Registered
553 Posts
Let me be the first DT, Excellent score, I like it!
You are really wanting to build that fleet aren't you

Congrats!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Congrats Tom.It's always a great feeling to acquire a certain car(or anything for that matter)that you have always wanted to own.I got the same feeling when I found my '64.I hope to be seeing your newest addition to the fleet in person soon.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I think of a car collection like a "hand of cards",you discard the ones you don't really want but hope for and keep the ones you want.

The 1966 Fords will always hold a special place for me. My first car was a 1966 Galaxie 500 XL and I passed my Wisconsin drivers test in a 1966 Country Squire!

I love this new Galaxie because it is a 4-speed,and the fact that its a 428 don't hurt either?

I also like that this new one has all the mechanicals gone through,the engine,trans and axle all have been redone and that would not be cheap to do.

I was thinking of adding Torque Thrusts to it along with a teardrop hood.

Its a "dressy" 7 liter trim model so my "stripper" effect steel wheel dog dish hubcap wont really have the same effect here.

Its got those big money tube headers that would sound great with some 2-chamber Flowmasters,I will have to see how I like the mufflers that are on it now and maybe change them.

The guy who is selling it has all the paperwork for the car.

He kept all the reciepts for the engine rebuild along with any other items he had done to the car.He had the local Ford garage replace the rear main seal on the engine recently,the book has the part number of the seal and even the empty bag it came in!

I don't think I have ever seen a full size Ford from 66 before with a 4-speed?

I think thats what going to set this car apart from the crowd,that big block 428 4-speed is going to be real neat to have.

Oh ya, when they swapped all the stuff onto this new 66 500-XL,they used all the stuff from a 66 428 4-speed 7-litre car.

So,all the 7- litre stuff on my car was from a 66 7-litre,so it not like its the wrong year 428 engine or trans,its the same year same model parts swapped into a different body.

I have to get it ready for some local Ford shows coming up,there is about 4 really good ones that this new Galaxie 428 4-speed should do good at.

I never go to shows for the purpose of winning them,I could care less but it is nice to talk with the people who stop by and look at your cars.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Greg, I was kinda thinking of that 4-speed with the Woodward "traffic jam"!

Its got a aftermaket clutch in it too,it didn't seem real heavy but I supposed in bumper to bumper traffic it could be a "pain in the azz" or should a say "pain in the leg"?

I think you will really like this new one Greg,super super nice car done real correct with the right parts.

This car was NOT CHEAP,but its the one I want.

Its got that super cool factory 4-speed shifter with the console,when they converted the car they did it right,no corners cut anywhere on this one!

I wanna see if Fordmuscle.com wants to do a feature on it for the site,I will take some good shots of it and send them to Chirag later.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im just looking through some of the paperwork that came with the new Galaxie.

It has a 3.70 gearset with a new Ford traction lock in it.

It also had a complete overhaul of the trans,new bearings and saddle were installed.

I want to keep this car totally streetable,no major mods for this one!

Just paging through some of this paperwork I see this guy has spent some real big money on this car!

It shows the headers were $700 and he had them Jet-Hot coated for another $280!

Shooting for next weekend to pick it up,more than likely it will be two weekends from now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very nice car Tom. You should think about bringing it to the Wis Dells car show in may.If you have never been there its a real nice show. Not enough Fords though. Jim

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey DT, way to go. Real sweet car!

Don't worry about the cost especially since the car was done right! Like you said, the only thing it's missing is the 7liter vin#.
And since it's not, you wont be worried about modifying a rare car.

Should be a real nice cruizer. Add a set of tourqe thrusts or maybe Cragar SS's and go. The Flowmasters would sound real good on it too. My brother has em on his 460 4x4 and they sound great!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cool car! You should put different wheels on.Change the hood too.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JRK, let me know when that Wisconsin Dells car show is,I might take it up there!

I'm sure your brother who lives in my city will see my Galaxie cruising around sooner or later,West Allis is not a big city.

Ron Meyer, I have to think a little bit on the new wheels,I guess Torque Thrusts would be best?

The wheels can make "the look" of any car,so its a important choice.

It will for sure get the glass T-Bolt hood from Crites,I would never have a 60s Ford that did'nt have that hood on it.

I want to take it to a good deal of car shows this year,I think since the car will be new to this areas shows it will do good with the Ford guy crowd.

I plan on the car almost being a daily driver on nice days,Im getting sick of driving my truck all the time!

That 4-speed really makes this car cool in my mind!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Real sweet car Tom. I can't wait to ride in it at Woodward. A 4spd will even make a slow car fun so with a 428, it should at least have some power. Headers, Edelbrock alum RPM heads, street solid roller, and a tri-power setup would be the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What a nice car DT. In the small town I grew up in, a guy had a dark blue one like yours. It was an auto though. It had a light blue interior. I think it would look good with the dark centered mags. It needs a reverb for the tunes while cruising.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think JC Whittney still sells them. Ya gotta do it!
I'm showing my age.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 3/3/02 7:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reverb! Ya baby!

The new Galaxie has a factory am/fm in it.

I wonder if it would be worth using it as a radio or could using it make it burn out faster and not work at all?

Not sure about the old factory radios but I heard that a factory am-fm from back then is worth big $$$$$$?

I wont sell the radio out of the car for anything I'm just asking if the original am-fm that's in the car would be too valuable to use as the cars primary?

Any ideas?

Since it will a driver (nice days only) I want a radio in it,you know I want those "oldies" tunes playin on Woodward for sure!

65 Falcon Sprint Super-Stock-White Lightning
66 Galaxie "7 Litre" 428 4-speed
91 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed
95 F-350 XLT Super-Cab DRW 460- Tow Vehical

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 3/3/02 7:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't see how a reverb would and wear and tear on a radio. They sure did sound good back when I had my 65 GTO. I miss that car.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
85 Mike, I'm not saying the reverb would hurt the radio Im just saying are those factory am-fm radios from back then servicable today?

If they can't be fixed when they go out,I don't want to use it as a primary radio for the car.

The old radios must use some sort of tubes in them hey?

I guess, If I find out they can be fixed and serviced today with no real problems I would use the factory am-fm the car has in it.

I remember slightly a reverb radio my dad had in one of his cars?

I forgot what car he had that had a reverb,but I do remember hitting big road bumps and hearing the reverb "clang" as Greg Cook said!

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I say use the orginal radio, if you do not use it. It will not work. It has been my experiance, with other things besides radios. Use it and enjoy it.

What is a reverb?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tom that wis dells car show is May 18-19. They have it at Noahs Arc Waterpark. They have a small swapmeet there. 700 to 800 cars show up every year. Jim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts