Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my 64, been looking into the GM world, . . . but these Galaxies keep picking me like a pretty dog at the pound LOL :D :D.

Looked at a 63 this weekend, thinking hard about it . . . . one thing this car does not have is power steering, . . . . .

Is this something that can be added ? . . . . im 99% percent sure i can , . . . . . . . . . just swap out some of the steering linkage and add the Ram, C.V etc etc - someone tell me if im wrong

It was bittersweet selling the 64, but im stoked to move on to something else, . . . and it looks like it will be another Galaxie

L

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I'm a Ford Galaxie guy, but those 61/2/3 Impalas were really nice cars. Didn't care much for the style of the 64's.

For a few years in the 70's, I had a 62 Impala 283/PGlide hardtop while I also had my Galaxie. Impala was a commuter car.

Don't beat on me, but the Impala seemed to ride better.

My future bro/in/law had a 390/300 4 sp 65 Galaxie 500 convert. My cousin had a 65 Impala SS, 327/250 4 sp hardtop, both cars were brand new. (Disadvantage Ford: 3/1 rear; Chevy 3:36/1.)

My cousin's car won every race between the two, regardless of who the driver was.

But, that Impala could not pull from low speed, 4th gear, with a car full of drunks.

The Galaxie could.

(None of us could afford the really big block cars.)

In our neighborhood, it was a GM world back in the 60's. I went from a 57 BelAir to a 65 Corvette.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
My very first car was a '62 Impala 327, 250 horse, in '65. Loved it and still love the looks of them. Sold it and bought a '65 Mustang 289 4bbl 4 speed in '66 and have had at least one FORD every since. I must say I've had other brands also. My favorite, other than a Ford, is a Pontiac :)
p.s. hate the looks of the '64 impala, also :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its looking like im gonna pick up this 63 - 500, im pretty stoked :D :D.

I did the Gm-Buick thing once and it didn't work out, also never really did what i wanted to with my old 63, so now i have another chance.

L

·
Administrator
21,678 Posts
As to your power steering question think what you mentioned is all you need basically but just think, no power steering, no leaking and manual steering isn't really all that manual except sitting still turning the wheel. BUT turning the wheel, car off on a manual steering car is easier than on a power steering car. I'd leave it like it is if it were me.

Congrats on the maybe new ride.

I had a '62 impala too, not perty but i liked it and wouldn't mind having another. Also a '69 catalina or bonneville i wouldn't mind either. If i still had the '65 impala i would sell it to fix my ford. It was a good car but i never really got attached to it like i did others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts