Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local recycling center since it was close and cheap. Didn't know if that huge truck scale would be accurate or not. Tried it anyway.

Weight came in at 2,800 lbs even. When my wife stepped onto the scale next to the car the weight went up to within a pound of what she weighed this morning on our pricey digital scale. So I figure it wasn't too far of. The operator also swore the thing would be accurate.

Weight benefits to the car consist of a fiberglass hood, fiberglass R model style front racing valence, and the rear fold down seat removed and replaced with the fiberglass rear seat delete tray. It has a full interior other than the removed rear seat. I'd guess the weight would be well under 2,760 with the old 8" instead of the heavy thick wall tube housing strange pro iron case 9". It might get down to 2,700 ish with aluminum heads and flywheel. Didn't think it would be this light.

·
Registered
596 Posts
That sounds about right then, I weighted my 65 on the track scale and w/o me in it, it was 2850. That was with weld skinnies on the front, nothing at all in truck and i removed the rear seat cushion, fold down rear seat assembly and the rear package shelf that covers the shock absorber access. Also had removed front sway bar. Everything else is all metal and full interior on everything else.
I'm sure your fiberglass pieces helped the weight savings. Well they sure are lighter than the new ones are anyway....I have actally talked to folks at shows that think this cars are alot heavier just cause they are old. I had trouble convining one guy that his 93 LX coupe 5.0 weighted more than mine did.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Way back when (1965) we weighed a new stock Mustang. If I recall. It only was 2750 pure stock from the dealership.. 289, 4 speed, all stock. Anyway, that is what I remember.
JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds about right then, I weighted my 65 on the track scale and w/o me in it, it was 2850. That was with weld skinnies on the front, nothing at all in truck and i removed the rear seat cushion, fold down rear seat assembly and the rear package shelf that covers the shock absorber access. Also had removed front sway bar. Everything else is all metal and full interior on everything else.
I'm sure your fiberglass pieces helped the weight savings. Well they sure are lighter than the new ones are anyway....I have actally talked to folks at shows that think this cars are alot heavier just cause they are old. I had trouble convining one guy that his 93 LX coupe 5.0 weighted more than mine did.
I've got the front sway bar out as well. I don't know if the T5 is much lighter than a 4spd or not? A few more pounds saved with the aluminum driveshaft, headers rather than manifolds, and aluminum intake. That's pretty normal stuff though. Regular 15" torque thrusts, with 215's in the front and 225's in the rear. We're very close in weight!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way back when (1965) we weighed a new stock Mustang. If I recall. It only was 2750 pure stock from the dealership.. 289, 4 speed, all stock. Anyway, that is what I remember.
JOE SHERMAN RACING
I've heard people say the coupes are lighter.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I've got the front sway bar out as well. I don't know if the T5 is much lighter than a 4spd or not? A few more pounds saved with the aluminum driveshaft, headers rather than manifolds, and aluminum intake. That's pretty normal stuff though. Regular 15" torque thrusts, with 215's in the front and 225's in the rear. We're very close in weight!
T5 is about 75lbs dry. That's a good 20lbs lighter than a T10, and 30-40lbs lighter than an iron case toploader I believe.

For those of you who are curious, my all steel 67 coupe, with stock steel wheels and stock sized tires, full deluxe interior, iron intake, iron heads, headers, 8" rear end, some goofy toploading aluminum tailshaft 3spd, iron driveshaft, and 1/4 tank of gas weighed in at 2779lbs without me in it. This was on calibrated 4 corner scales.

Just for comparison...aluminum heads and intake, a glass hood, and lightweight racing buckets would land my car right at 2650lbs. This doesn't count any other tricks...such as glass bumpers, fenders, lightweight racing wheels and tires, lexan, tubular suspension, etc etc.

It also however, doesn't count the weight of a cage and subframes, nor the heavier TKO trans...or a 9" rear end. All in all I'm hoping for a 2800lb total race weight, with me in it.

Cris

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting. Seems the 5.0L boys have to do quite a bit more to get to a 2,700-2,800 lbs race weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts