Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replaceing my stock k-member with a qa-1 (hals)k-member also putting in a fr rack kit dose anyone know the tourqe for the bolts that hold the k-member to the frame of my 82 stang

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I put on my Hal, (QA1), last year, and I"m sure they came with directions, (i.e. torque specs), for all the various connections.
If nothing else, call Hal. I remember calling them and asking about alignment specs, and stuff after installing mine. They were very helpful and appreciative.

Pick up the phone. Give 'em a call.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I like it alot. Looks alot cooler than that HUGE factory K member.
I hear lots of people pissing and moaning about the necessary trimming/adjusting/whatever to make it work, but tell me ONE piece of equipment for aftermarket stuff that some tinkering/tweaking doesn't have to be done.

You get loads or room, it looks cooler then hell, and you get a weight reduction.
You have to probably get adjustable caster/camber plates. You will have to extend the stock steering rod. And for sure, have it aligned after installation.

I highly recommend the Hal (QA1) crossmember..............

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you use a after market rack or a stock rack i am installing a flaming river kit steering shaft and rack and all the goodies

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did either of you guys get the HAL struts for coilovers (threaded aluminum body)? If so, how did those fit? I'm assuming you guys are running aftermarket lower control arms? I'm running into clearance problems at the lower end of the strut. I'm just assembling these pieces now. The struts contact the a-arms (D&D) when the front end is turned unless I drop the front end so low it wouldn't have ground clearance. Any info would be appreciated...

Scott

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Nope.........I ran out of moola a long time before getting to the good stuff, (i.e. aftermarket lower control arms, etc. etc.).

I used the stock lower control arms, and stock worn out (over 100k) struts. (works.......WTF).......

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Supposedly the shaft can be lengthened by beating on it, etc, but I opted to have it lengthened the old fashioned way. (my machinist/welder bud), made it 1" longer.
So, 1" is the answer.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
That's all my bud did. Cut it, and put a piece of tubing over it. Welded it, ground it down, (so it was purty)
, then I painted it. I lost a little clearance, (thru the headers), but not enough to cry about. Seems to work.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts