Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 4x4 Dakota 4.7 Truck that is my daily driver. I had the huge muffler remove for a better sound and mileage, it still has 2 small resonator mufflers.

My question is....do you think a high dollar K&N filter would help a bit on the gas mileage? I don,t beat on this big 4 dr sled.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I heard that the summit brand air filters is really the k & n stuff without the logo and half as expensive but I couldn't say for sure though

·
Registered
333 Posts
I put K&N's on all of my cars. Even if they don't help mileage or performance (which I think they do), if you change your filter regularly, they end up being cheaper in the long run. Plus the guys at Kwik lube won't keep trying to sell you a filter everytime you go in.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
I like K&N, but I didnt see any gain in mileage on any motor. I tried hard before I went with the diesel truck too.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Heck I put one in my Volvo, and I know I'm not going to see any power gains in that thing. Didn't really notice any mileage benefit either, but then again, my odometer is broken.

Like carsnguitars said, eventually they'll pay for themselves.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I was thinking about getting a kn filter for my daily driver 4cyl for the mileage reason. A long time ago I read a really great article on kn filters and thier flow rates as compared to others. What I need is a good side by side comparison as for any difference in mileage/horsepower/torque on a dyno. There has got to be some kind of research done on this, like the synthetic oil vs conventional oil comparison in this months Mustang and fords magazine. I priced a kn filter for my car and its like $50. I sure would like something to go on before I spend that kind of money on a filter.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Isn't it harder to pull air through oily cotton than say a plain 'ol fram filter ? Has anyone ever done their own tests ? I never trust company tests......

·
Registered
244 Posts
when i changed to a k/n filter from a paper filter on my falcon i saw NO improvements in my e.t. or mph at the track.
and as a tech in a dealer we see alot of drivability problems caused by aftermarket cold air induction filter setups. not so much with just a simple filter swap.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On 2006-10-12 19:07, gchero351 wrote:
Isn't it harder to pull air through oily cotton than say a plain 'ol fram filter ? Has anyone ever done their own tests ? I never trust company tests......
Other than being reusuable, I can't see a single advantage to a K&N. There was a new one in the trunk of an '80 Caddie Seville I bought a few years ago along with it's oil. Swapped it on and gained NOTHING! In my opinion, other than being reusuable, K&N air filters are just hype. A good Fram, Purolator or other brand name paper filter will breathe every bit as well and you can buy a bunch of them for the price of a single K&N.

Jan

·
Registered
293 Posts
There is a sticker on the intake box for the V6 in our Taurus that says not to use any type of oiled filter because the oil can harm the airflow sensor.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
They do flow better, we conducted a flow test on various filters for the OU race team, and the filters were better. (Conveniently, I don't have the actual results available, but they were for motorcycle sized filters anyways)

But no, you are not going to see much gain using a K&N. Maybe 1MPG at most. They are just cheaper in the long run. They do have a lifetime warranty, so if they breakdown over time you can send it in for a new one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For everyone who is carbureted also keep in mind that the oil used in the K&N is flammable so if you have a pop back though the carburetor you have a good chance of starting a nice little fire. (Speaking from experience one back fire through my carb lit that K&N rite up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts