Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand the obsession with people buying enclosed car trailers. I went to a car show the other day, and there were a few people un-loading cars from enclosed trailers that were far from show cars. I could understand a car with a $20,000 paint job being transported in enclosed trailers, but these were $2500.00 paint jobs. I went to the local circle track races the other nite, and there were no less than three Nascar style stacker trailers carrying street stocks!! I think it is just a status symbol for some people. I have heard the argument about the cars being safer in an enclosed trailer, but around here they just steal the truck,trailer and car all in one swoop!! One guy in Tuscon,Az. last year had his enclosed trailer broken into in a motel parking lot, they un-loaded the car, closed the door, and he did not find out the car was missing until after he got home, a few days later!! So much for security. I actually bought a used enclosed trailer a few years ago. I used it one time because it was too much of a pain in the butt to haul the thing around. I went back to my trusty flat bed trailer and have never looked back. The icing on the cake with these things was the other nite at the races. Into the pits pulled a 40 foot motor home, pulling a 28 foot enclosed trailer, and when they opened the door, there was a five foot long quarter midget inside!!!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
With all the Honda drivers calling the po-lice everytime you lift the hood or turn a wrench on your classic, restored or older car...it probably has more to do with the home appearance laws than anything else.

The trailer at least give the illusion of "what they can't see, they won't steal".

Yes, the really good thieves look at an enclosed trailer as a open all night - free auto parts store. But, it does help to discourage the opportunistic, teenage type. Not putting an alarm on your trailer? That's a whole 'nuther question.

reason #1, its a great place to nap and store your stuff when you are waiting on other stuff. Heck anything that is a step up from flat towing is 100% improvement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/28/06 8:10am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
"With all the Honda drivers calling the po-lice everytime you lift the hood or turn a wrench on your classic, restored or older car"

Beoweolf,
Time to get out of the SF Bay Area. The rest of the country doesn't frown on popping the hood in the driveway. That's why I left
That place has a way of really messing with your head! I used to get "honda drivers" pacing back and forth in front of the house conjuring up schemes when I worked on my car.
Jon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikelonis on 6/28/06 8:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Lots of reasons for enclosed trailer ....

I have one buddy (who everyone here knows) ... bought an enclosed trailer done up real nice ... Has an incredible car and it's all Home Made ... Paint Job most likely didn't cost a grand because, for him, there was ZERO labor cost.

Uses the trailer as storage and weather protection to say nothing of it allowing him to move his car and all his tools cross country avoiding the riff-raff-scavanging of "Moving Company Employees."

Surely there are some of us trying to "Keep Up With The Jones's" ... but I can assure you this guy is a "Penny Pincher of the Highest Order."

For some folks it might just happen to be a great investment which can be put to use as needed (out in public view) from time to time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 6/28/06 9:01am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
What a cheapskate, I'd say tell that guy to get a life!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a friend that I work with that just had to buy an inclosed snowmobile trailer last year after seeing "everyone else having one". now he has a new power stroke, new 27 foot inclosed trailer. The real funny thing is the guy is so full of himself that noone else can stand to ride with him so he always drives by himself. So he'll come pulling up in some crappy little parking lot full of snow and spend 20 minutes trying to get it all parked nice and neet
, but it worked out good for me I got a good deal on his old 4 place
. Same guy just had to buy a 3800sqft home because with the 2 kids the old 2200sqft home was just to small.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
It's cheaper in a lot of places to buy an enclosed trailer than to build a garage. We have some Air Force people that race with us - sure, the cars are not $20K show cars but guess what - base housing has mostly car ports. SO they should sit outside in the weather? Go look at the hood of my truck and ask why we're getting bids on a new roof. Before you get off on people's choice of car hauling, maybe you should just be glad for the trailer mfgs and let folks pull what they like. A box is damn conveinent, looks to me. If people want to haul beaters on $5000 rollbacks or load a pile of hobby stocks in a stacker - let 'em. We have several 24~28 footers here that carry two or so Jr. Dragsters. Gives the family a place to stay out of the sun and with the awning gives them a place to park and work with a little shade. The track sure appreciates them showing up to race. Better you see 3 dually's pulling open trailers or one good size truck with a couple of cars in the back? There's a guy here that crams two full size dragsters in a 28 footer. As for protection, they'll steal an open trailer just as fast as an enclosed - so what.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I agree with Tom completely. I've grown up through the tow bar, solid axle homemade trailer, ramp truck, decent open trailer and enclosed trailer race car hauling eras. Several friends of mine have enclosed trailers for their circle burners and the ONLY benefit that I can see if that they give you a place to stand out of the sun and rain!

Actually, there are several disadvantages to using an enclosed trailer for racing. First, unless you have a LOT of paved property, where are you going to park one? A lot of communities frown on parking boats, motor homes and trailers parked in the side in the yard. Enclosed rigs are also thief magnets. Crooks figure.."expensive trailer, expensive stuff inside" and will go to GREAT lengths to steal the whole rig if necessary from motel parking lots, truck stops and such. Also, unless you have a great deal of money, the money spent on a fancy tow rig could be better spent of the race car itself. One last thing. If you want to help promote your brand of racing to the general public, an open trailer with the car visible does a MUCH better job than a bland red or white enclosed.

Hot rods and muscle cars belong on the STREET, not in or on a stretcher.....
I belong to a little car club with a bunch of older folks,most with much more money than me. Most have meticiously restored cars or '50s styled Kustoms and all hate the 'trailer queen' concept.

Below is MY trailer with my newly acquired '37 Chevy vintage dirt modified on it..
It's a '96 Econo-Trailer I purchased new for 1400 bux, with 4 wheel brakes but no other options. It weighs a bit under 1000 lbs and has a 'rated' 7000 lb. gross vehicle weight. Other than needing rewired and a paint job, it's been the perfect hauler. I've towed this one all over the East Coast picking up eBay cars, other racers, taking junkers to the scrap yard and such behind a couple of old 300 6 powered F-150s. When I stay at a motel, I either stash my tools and jack in the car being hauled or I take 'em in the room with me.

Jan..hardcore on this subject!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tbirdchick on 6/28/06 10:21pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You all have brought up some valid points about why one would need that type of hauler. I just don't understand the reason that alot of people will have that type of hauler when the race car needs tires, could obviously use some more horsepower, or they don't even have the right type of truck to pull an enclosed trailer. I've seen far too many overloaded 1/2 ton pickups pulling trailers that were too big. Once you have the trailer, you need a generator, you have to outfit the inside of the trailer with lights,cabinets etc.,etc., etc. I would rather put the money in the race car. Even pulling my flatbed trailer has become bothersome to me and I am planning on building some sort of ramp truck.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
[Creative trailering;

Quite a few years back, a friend of mine got a job on the East Coast, while he was working in Cali. He had more stuff than would fit in his car or his Girlfriends van, but way less than enough to make a reasonable load for a moving company. Beside...even back then - they were known for molesting you stuff while it was in their care as well as holding it ransom for "surcharges" once it came time for delivery.

Solution was to rent the biggest U-Haul truck he could...24 or 30 footer, I don't remember now. So we pack all his stuff in the front of the van, left about 10 - 12 ft. He drives down to the industrial area, and his ole lady trails along with this VW bug...yup, you got it! He drives the VW into the Box, stack his mattress and stuff around it and seal it up.

Now to be honest, he didn't tie it down...so I suspect there was a lot of sway and movement, especially on turns, bumpy roads and going over the mountains. But when he called us a week later, and didn't complain about anything, so I guess, it worked out good enough.

Point is, trailers, enclosed or not, aren't 100% required to move or for car hauling. I can’t say that every guy that has a trailer or hauls around his 4:10 geared ’65 Galaxie, instead of taking it on a 200 – 300 mile drive to a show and shine or just fun run in another city is totally a wimp either. There are good reasons to tow, sometimes.

I guess the old adage about guns comes into play (paraphrased), when talking about trailers too …” Its better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to stand in the rain on a dark night, waiting for tow truck to come pick my car up after I blew an axle, transmission or otherwise couldn’t drive home.

I'm of the mind that a car guy needs access to a trailer, a good buddy that owns one is just as good or better than actually owning one yourself...that way you don't have to worry about things like licensing, fees, taxes, theft and storage. Kinda' like a having a friend with a pickup truck,...those are the guys you want on your team or in your entourage...

here's a virtual beer to all friends that have trailers, vans and pickup trucks...especially the ratty ones that'll tow you home for a bad story, some good converstation and time to finish off a case o' beer every once in a while!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/28/06 11:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
You don't like enclosed trailers so they're bad......

Makes sense to me.

99% of the motoring public thinks that hot rods are stupid money wasting air polluters, but that doesn't stop you from having one or more.

I think your time would be better spent on something other than concerning yourself about how and why others spend their own money.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have an enclosed trailer...and I have far from a show car or a track only car.

However....
When I take it to the track...it sure is nice to know if I break...that I can still get home.
When I want to go half way across the country with the car for one reason or another....its also nice not to have to worry about weather, or that the car doors don't lock.
When I do local stuff (aside from track days) I drive there in my car.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On 2006-06-28 07:58, Beoweolf wrote:

I can’t say that every guy that has a trailer or hauls around his 4:10 geared ’65 Galaxie, instead of taking it on a 200 – 300 mile drive to a show and shine or just fun run in another city is totally a wimp either. There are good reasons to tow, sometimes.
I wasn't thinking of hard core street cars when I made my post. I wouldn't drive such a Galaxie the 200 miles to Woodward myself. For anyone who I might've offended, I apologize.

As to lending pickemups or trailers ONLY because someone is too cheap to buy their own, TOUGH! I've had too many of my own torn up by so-called "friends" and had to foot the repair bill myself. I lend my trailer to only one friend who helps maintain it and also pays the registration every other year. In Ohio, the tow vehicle's insurance also covers the trailer and I know it's in responsible hands when he uses it.

My favorite bumper sticker reads.."Yeah, I have a pickup! No, I won't help you move!".....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hhmmm... I have a big Yellow Wagon that I bought at Lowes a week ago. My Fairlane won't fit.

·
Registered
625 Posts
here's a virtual beer to all friends that have trailers, vans and pickup trucks...especially the ratty ones that'll tow you home for a bad story, some good converstation and time to finish off a case o' beer every once in a while!

Well I know how that is. I have 2 of them (not enclosed but open) and I know for a fact my friends stuff spends more time on them then mine does. Hell it wasn't more then a month or 2 ago when my wifes friends brother showes up pounding on the door at 2 in the morning because him and his buddy was drunk and rolled his buddies truck out in the country. So there I go my truck and trailer to winch his truck back onto its wheels and up on my trailer. Man sometimes I think I'm just to damn nice.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/28/06 11:04pm ]</font>
[/quote]

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I can't summarize this whole thread...especially since it was started by someone else...

But, and I say this with respect to what "I think" F15Falcon was trying to say...you have to be in the other guys shoes to see where he is going. Way too much remote judgement seem to be the rule today. You got the Seirra Club folks telling everyone that they are unpatriotic for driving a Pickup truck, Hummer or Suburban, they don't even take the time to realize that not everyone lives in the city. To assume that just because a truck is not caked in mud everyday, or festooned with half-eaten burritos and Big Gulp 7/11 cups...that doesn't mean he needs special permission or is reqired to have a legitimate need for large car, truck or SUV....or trailer. Things happen, you need to be prepared if you can afford it. What is at the heart of the matter is something we all tend to forget...it is or should be a free country - you make your choices, I make mine.

Trying to tell me that I shouldn't or can't have something I paid for is going to get just as much attention from me as hearing about Termite rights as they are munching on my house.

Yes, its a shame that there are so many guys with "trailer Queen" poser kinds of cars, but sooner or later, they'll get tired of them and sell them to someone who will appreciate it and drive it. I find that people that are always looking over the fence and trying to tell their neighbor how to live his life (OK, I admit, I have a special place in Hell for people that blast stereo's or can't come home without driving the last mile in 1st gear just hear their Flomasters...I'm not perfect or comfortable with idiots).

Other than that, I'm prettty OK with what ever floats the other guys boat.

So, yeah...I would like to see more nice cars on the road, but with the way some of these idiots drive...I got nothing against the guy that tries to limit his special car's exposure to idiot drivers who think having a cell phone up to their ear is a "force field" that keeps them safe from collisions.

We can only hope that someday, the roads will be safe enough to drive our classics without that special fear of not being able to find another fender, rear quarter or windsheild when someone tries to repeal the laws of physics by putting a 17 ft mini van in a 10 ft space.

Hat's off to you for bringing this subject up. Lot of viewpoints, opinions and reasons for and against. Ain't it nice when we can talk like tis?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/29/06 6:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
646 Posts
There's a hell of a lot of things I would do if I had the money to do 'em. More power to those that have it. Belch......excuse me!

·
Registered
804 Posts
65460... I think your "H
T", whomever you are.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I agree, a 16 ft open trailer is pretty handy if you just need to move around town.

However, crossing country on my last move, 26 ft of enclosed trailer at 10K lbs and a GCWR of 19K was pretty slick at 70 mph rain or shine

1 - 20 of 28 Posts