Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You had mentioned before (when running your Pinto) that you couldn't find headers any larger than 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" for the 351W engine.

Did you ever check the race headers from Hedman? Lots of good stuff here.

http://www.hedman.com/pages/RACING/strt-strp-ford.html

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Thanks Mike but I already spent $1200 on a set of 1 7/8"-2" step headers with 3 1/2" Hooker Merge collectors. At the time I built the Pinto, the only headers I could get that weren't "discontinued" at the time were the Hooker 1 5/8" swap headers and had to make do with those for about 5 years. The Hedman headers came back out long after I got my Hookers but now the custom $1200 headers are being wasted on a 13:1 395 stroker(.040 over) with hydraulic flat tappet cam and TCI Street Fighter converter with fully ported Windsor Srs that are angle milled .125" to help the port angles of the heads and intake line up better and a 351W Vr Jr intake to help low speed torque out instead of a Super Victor. I gave the car to my dad since it has to pass emissions up here to get licenced and I will not have a car I can't drive on the street. My dad will have fun with it though and it that's what really matters. The oversize headers made for nitrous and big cubes, tight 3200 stall converter, and the XE 294H-10 Extreem Energy hydraulic flat tappet Comp Cam will kill the launch from being too mismatched but should come alive between 4000-7200RPM though. He will not use nitrous even though I built the engine to handle a heavy dose so the headers are overkill. I'm taking the 3 1/2" Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers off that 3 1/2" "H" pipe and putting the old 3" Terminator mufflers on it which were on it before with the old Hooker headers to create a little back pressure and help low speed torque out while putting those 3 1/2" Aero Chambers on my Falcon with the 466. Those 1 3/4" Hedman headers would have helped me out greatly when i was using the juice but I have no idea just how much those custom step headers I had helped for I didn't race it anymore after those were built. I was planning on a large stroker with 7500+ RPMs and lots of nitrous when I had those headers built but that never happened. They did sound awesome with the 351W though with the 3 1/2" "H" pipe and 3 1/2" Aero Chamber mufflers. Awesome indeed unfortunately the engine self destructed on the way to the track running pump gas with 14.5:1 compression and in the throttle the whole way there on the highway. All pistons broken and that ended that. I was going to use the full 350 shot too once I got to the track. Stupid me......

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
No, the night you remember is when I used the nitrous for the first time on the stock rod barely in the 10s off the bottle 351 and tried the nitrous on the way to the track for the first time on that engine while trying to pass you and out came da rod right by the track! The time I was talking about in above post was at the Shelby Meet with the "new" high compression 351 and the new custom headers with 9qt Canton pan. Bumping the nitrous making huge fireballs come out of my hood scoop from the bent valves caused by the pistons breaking around the ring lands and those pieces got between the valves and pistons which bent the valves. I used the borrowed 1.5 ratio SBC rockers from whats his name with the 406 Chevy Luv that worked at RACE because I had no piston to valve clearance with the 1.72s and didn't have but .040" on the exhaust after the 1.5s. Pistons out of the hole over .020" plus not enough piston to valve clearance with SBC 1.5 rockers and running pump gas with the 14.5:1 compression. Thrown together knowing what the problems were just so I could make it out there for the meet. Won't do that again and no more full throttle on pump gas anymore either. I learned from that! You were there that day because I think that was the same day you hit the wall at the traps. Bad day for us both.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I think you were there every damn time I broke something and I was there when you did too. I miss those days

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Let me guess..... My left rear wheel and drum coming off a second or two after launch from sheared studs creating a nice spark show?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
That, the broken 8" w/mini spool, first time out with my car, Kenny driving the Pinto... got really misty, hope those days will return... probably won't.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
You know, even with all the breakage and carnage, those were basically the best times I had. Good friends and cars. Now i'm stuck in nowhere land with no track and no lakes. Racing and fishing were my favorite past time but now I have no past time activities. I honestly want to go back to Tulsa but my wife is deathly afraid of tornados so this will be tough. I have to say I had just as much fun watching my car race as racing it myself. It's a different satisfaction to hear the reaction of people during the run when you're with them and not in the car racing it. Is Memorial Drive still good for cruising or have the cops clamped down again?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts