Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question... While shopping around for a throttle cable for my 65 Galaxie 500 I see many talking about a kickdown. The engine on my car has a Edelbrock carb with just one cable going to it. The car came like this. I've only had the car for about 2 weeks. (VERY new to the classic car hobby.) After doing some research on the net, many of you talk about using a Lokar kit with a kickdown. Did a 65 come with this kickdown linkage using the C.O.M transmission? If so, where does the other cable attach to? Do I really need it? I found where one member used a 80's maybe 90's mustang pedal and cable set up. Can anybody else shed some light on this ? Thanks in advance for any info/help that can be given.......

**Anybody know the part number for this Lokar kit with the kickdown that can be used on the car?
Thanks again..

·
Registered
688 Posts
The "kickdown" drop the tranny down one gear when you stab the throttle for power and passing.
Not sure whart C.O.M. tranny is

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
On the 65 with the 4100 carb Ford switched from a kickdown cable to a kickdown rod. The rod (see pic) is a 1/2" wide tube that conects at the carburetor, runs towards the firewall and then turns 90 degrees to the com transmission. When you put pedal to metal, the throttle linkage gets pulled back, hits the adjusting screw on the downshift lever (arrowhead) and pushes the downshift rod back. This clicks a lever in the tranny.

Can't say what the Edelbroks uses, probably a cable. The Locar might work especially if it did not have to use a bellcrank (?), the thing that the pre-1965 stock cables were connected to. Can't tell you much more about that, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What you want (kick-down cable kit) is available from LOKAR.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyones reply. Priced the throttle cable, kickdown cable and bracket and looks like it will cost around $170.00 + shipping from Jegs. Anybody know where I may find the parts at a better price?
Thanks....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Didnt search thru the 185 different "hits" but try HERE

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Before you spend money on a kick down lever or cable, consider that I had to ditch my kick down lever when I swapped carbs (the Holley I bought was set up for a different type of car, so I couldn't connect the rod). So mine is disconnected, however through the power of strange things I don't fully understand, when I mash the throttle my CoM box does drop a gear anyway. I think it's something to do with vacuum, but it works, so I've left it alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts