Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2012 race season has begun!

I went to the first race of the year at our local track on Friday night. Although the weather channel called for rain, the sky was a nice blue when I got off of work and I knew we were headed to the track. I unloaded the car and ran an 11.08 off the trailer which gave me a big smile. Then the clouds moved in and we had a light spitting of rain. It wasn't making the track wet, so we kept running and I got in a couple more qualifying rounds. Since the weather had changed, the times slowed down nearly a tenth in the quarter.

We started the eliminations early, with the hope of not getting wet. By the time the big rains came, I was semi-finalist in one class and a finalist in my beloved stick class. I also was to run the same guy in both classes. All those racers who were still in eliminations were cashed out so there won't be a rematch.

The best race of the night for me was this one-which put me in the semi's:

MOV was a mere 1.67 feet (.009 seconds.) I must say that I left off a little at the stripe when I saw the LS1 turbo Z240 in my rear view mirror and it almost bit my ass.

I can't wait until next week's fun!

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Great start to the season! :tup: Are you planning any tweaks to the setup?

David

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Keep it up. Like you said fun!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Glad to see your picking up right where you left off last season...If you run the full season this year I know your going to make it tough on your competitors....I think that 10 second barrier is definetely going down this year. :D

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
10.99 is coming soon. Good start to the season. Not sure new paint made the car faster,so what else did you do to it?

Our 2 local So Cal tracks shut down so no racing around here. Bakersfield is still running but it's 120 miles one way and the local red necks don't like people from out of town.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Looks like you're in midseason form Dennis. Well done!

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
The 2012 race season has begun!

The best race of the night for me was this one-which put me in the semi's:

MOV was a mere 1.67 feet (.009 seconds.) I must say that I left off a little at the stripe when I saw the LS1 turbo Z240 in my rear view mirror and it almost bit my ass.

I can't wait until next week's fun!
Nice job, Dennis!

But, OH MY GOD!!! That LS1 Turbo'd 240Z in the other lane?!?!?!
A 1.53 60ft... and a 9.47 @ 147 mph!!!! Talk about putting down some MAJOR power after it gets going! Dang!

I bet it's fun driving that little 240Z! Take off easy, then kick in the friggin' afterburners, Batman!

Good luck on the quest for a 10sec run. I'm sure you'll get it this year! Hopefully, you'll get some good weather this spring! :tup:

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys-it was fun right up until the rains started falling and then we knew it was over.

No major changes planed, just work on my driving and getting a grip on some of the household honeydo list that I pretty much ignored during the previous year's tear down.

But, OH MY GOD!!! That LS1 Turbo'd 240Z in the other lane?!?!?!
A 1.53 60ft... and a 9.47 @ 147 mph!!!! Talk about putting down some MAJOR power after it gets going! Dang!

I bet it's fun driving that little 240Z! Take off easy, then kick in the friggin' afterburners, Batman!

Good luck on the quest for a 10sec run. I'm sure you'll get it this year! Hopefully, you'll get some good weather this spring! :tup:
It gets even better than that--the LS1 is a stock block junkyard engine out of a truck and it sounds like a woose at idle. He drives it an hour and a half to the track on street radials, tunes it with a laptop and after the races he drives it home. He initially tried running a manual transmission with it, but it kept loosing clutches. I tried talking him in to a soft lock, but he installed an automatic instead.

Here is a not so great photo of it from race night:

As far as the 10 second run, my best bet is anywhere else but my home track. To the end, I have been invited to attend a private track rental at the Mason Dixon track in 3 weeks. It is being rented by a big corporate sponsor and the track normally gets full prep for them. Its a morning track rental and it is supposed to be the fastest 1/4 mile track in the area so I am really looking forward to giving it a go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts