Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a bad knock in his 223 OHV straight six. Sounds like it coming from the crank area. We're trying to get away with the least expensive repair. Should we try and repair the crank/rod? Or would it be easier to find another replacement motor(it would have to be a good running one)? We've been looking for motors and the 223 seems to be an odd ball.

Any advise/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would repair the block you have. Since you have to tear it all down, I would freshen up the bottom end while you were at it....rings, bearings, oil pump. You probably spun a bearing or they're just plain worn out so you might want to check the rod/main journals on the crank.

The problem with junkyard engines is that you really don't know what you are buying and you might be rebuilding that one later on down the road. If you are just looking to fix it and sell it, then just buy a scrap yard engine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The 223 had some history with main bearing knocks. By all means repair what you have. Don't forget this is a 1956 truck. That makes it 50 years old....what do you think a junk yard motor will be?? A 50 year old engine laying around for who knows how long and what has been done to it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True that. I think I will have to pull the motor and repair the crank. It's actually a 56 mainliner ford car.

Thanks for the info guys!

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts