Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 62 comet wagon with 65 289/4bbl. 289 Hipo exhaust manifolds, 2" pipes Y together at end of tranny to 3" y-pipe and then to 2 3/4" pipe going over axle and ending at muffler next to gas tank.

I'm looking for a quiet muffler, but it doesn't have to be stock silent. Kragen has the stainless steel magnaflow's for $75. They look great and are a true 2.5" all the way through, unlike the cheapy turbo's ($25) which are 2.5" and then looking through the inside are 2". I've never used the Magnaf and don't know anyone who has on a 289 with my setup. Will the Magnaflow be too loud at cruising speeds and under acceleration?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i've got magnaflows on 3 or my vehicles right now , I like them their not as loud as flowmasters not as much drone either but they make so many different types and I have 3 different kinds on my vehicles and none sould the same hope this helps a little, also they seem to be good mufflers 3 years on my truck and no change in sould at all

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on, that's the kind of muffler I want. Do you remember the part # of the quietest sounding muffler you have on your rides? What size inlet/outlet/lenght, etc. THanks for the info!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
actually the quietest one is on my uhmm dodge ram with a hemi its a #12589 quite a large muffler if you look at magnaflows website you can get all the info on it

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just welded on a 14" 2.5" outlet to 2.5" outlet. Have to put exhaust tip on, but it sounds great already. Cool low sound!!! Thanks for all the info!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just welded on a 14" 2.5" outlet to 2.5" outlet. Have to put exhaust tip on, but it sounds great already. Cool low sound!!! Thanks for all the info!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

1 - 9 of 9 Posts