Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping the L6 out of my 1965 two door sedan Falcon. I'm dropping a 302 in it. What other components on the car will need to be upgraded or changed out to support the swap. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Martin

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
LOOK ABOUT 10 POSTS DOWN....single most asked question I'd say....

Re: 1965 Falcon 4door L6 to 289 or SBF
V8 Motor mounts 1963-1/2 to 1965 or 66 Mustang the same
V8 Drag link/tie rods/Idler arm ( MAJOR SAFTEY ISSUE)
V8 5 lug spindles/brakes (Major Safety issue)
V8 8" rear end
V8 Throttle linkage
V8 Maifolds
V8 Drive shaft.....

that should get ya going.....

·
Registered
238 Posts

this doesnt have to be changed right away. the v8 is slightly heavier than a 6.

if the op isnt gona pull a speed racer scenarios then 6cyl steering and suspension stuff should be fine. that it unless its already unsafe and ready to be replaced asap

Falconwagon your right, we should ask someone to sticky 6 to 8 upgrade

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Anyone know the difference in weight between a 6 and v8? I'm still running 6 cyl steering and it's worked fine. All new components mind you. More on the side of safety I'd recommend an under engine brace and monte Carlo bar. These two things changed my car drastically.

Matt

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Well only owning 7 Falcon now, have owned 50+ to date, there is alot of stuff you can do, should you, up to you, I have owned a few that did not have the Larger Diameter Tie rods and Ball joints, can you drive it, sure, is it safe, No, not long term, just like a single master cly, but if you have a stock car, as I do have 2, I leave drum brakes and all, I leave my stock cars stock....

I have seen the added load wear on the smaller joints take it toll, look at it as if you were like me, 6' tall, 200 pounds, now add another 200-300 fat on me, my knees, and all my joints would not do well, same with leaving 4 lug, 6cly steering stuff in, when you do the V8 thing, but why, too cheap? too hard and you can't do the work? either way, enjoy your car, but don't do stuff you shouldn't do, Ford designed them bigger for a reason, Millions of dollars in research, and they did it for a reason, I know I am safe, as well as others with or around me, and you can't put a price on that.

John Howard
President OVCFCA
www.ovcfca.com

this doesnt have to be changed right away. the v8 is slightly heavier than a 6.

if the op isnt gona pull a speed racer scenarios then 6cyl steering and suspension stuff should be fine. that it unless its already unsafe and ready to be replaced asap

Falconwagon your right, we should ask someone to sticky 6 to 8 upgrade

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help, I know there was a previous post about this but i couldn't find it. Right now I'm trying to find an AOD transmission to swap my original C4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts