Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 66' Mustang, and the guy says he has a 351c block stroked to a 460. I had a hard time believing that, thinking a 408 was the largest, so decided to do some quick research.

The only kit I found that can actually get 460 cubes out of a 351 block is a world products "man-O-war" stroker kit, but you need the WP block which has extra meat and a relocated cam position.

I asked this guy if the block was an actual Ford Cleveland block, and if he used stock sized timing chains, thinking that if he said yes to either then there is no way it could be a 460. He did confirm that it's a real Cleveland block (strike one), and would get back to me on the chain size.

All this aside, looking to get feedback and see if there are any stroker kits I didn't find that will allow a 351 to be stroked to a 460.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most people intend the low-deck 335-series V8 when mentioning the 351C -- and not the tall-deck 335, which was available as either the "400" (the original, 402-inch tall-deck displacement) or the "351M" (a destroked "400"). Only Ford of Australia produced an engine with a different displacement using this block (a "302C").

The "351C" has a deck height about 300 thousandths shorter than that of the "351W," which has emerged as a somewhat more popular platform than the 351C. McKeown Motorsport Engineering produced aluminum Cleveland blocks having a bore capacity to 4.200 inches and I think I've read articles in which bores to about 4.23 or 4.25 inches were used (it's been a long while since I read that information).

https://www.facebook.com/TitusPerformance/
(there's a 457-ci Cleveland on a dynamometer, it uses the 351W deck height)

The 385-series 460 uses a 4.360 x 3.850 combination for a swept displacement of 459.84 ci (7535.55 cc).

A 4.200 x 4.000 combination would have a swept displacement of 443.34 ci (7265.07 cc); a 4.150 x 4.250 combination would have a swept displacement of 459.90 ci (7536.44 cc), but I'm not certain you could build a 9.20/9.21-deck engine with a 4.25 stroke and pistons having valve reliefs compatible with Cleveland heads.

A 107.9-mm x 103.0-mm (that's about a 4.248 bore, roughly a 4.055 stroke) gets you to 459.79 ci (7534.60 cc), but that might require offset boring or other techniques that don't fit so well with the idea that the base engine has been modified, as with the idea that a one-off engineering prototype has been produced for one or more specific purposes: at that point, you're deeper into "cubic dollars" territory than you are into "cubic inches" territory.

As I recall, the Titus Cleveland blocks are/were available in taller deck heights; 4.25-inch stroker combinations are available for stock-height 351W blocks.

So, to answer your question: it is possible to build a 460-inch Cleveland; however, it is also exceedingly unlikely to be the case that you've found one.

If in doubt, get the seller to certify the claim; if the seller's honest, it will agree to a triple-what-you-paid buy-back if a teardown/post-purchase inspection reveals any material misrepresentation on the seller's part; the buy-back should include all relevant costs (purchase, transportation, disassembly and inspection, legal fees and the like -- make sure you get it in writing, up-front).

Expect some resistance to that sort of contract. Any honest and reputable seller should understand that such a contract is in its best interest as much or more than any harm that could arise from its enforcement: it imposes no liability on the seller, if the (itemized, material) representations are confirmed.

Expect the seller to want to name the inspection entity; there's hardly any way to guarantee against corruption; there are a variety of ways for this to happen -- I like the one where the seller provides a list of experts (if I don't find one I like, I can ask for one or more alternatives to be added to the list, and the seller can reject any or all of those), and then I get to pick from the list of pre-approved inspectors.

However, if you can't come up with a list that's mutually acceptable (from which you get to pick), you're already at an impass. I'd want myself or my representative to video everything that was a potential point of dispute under the terms of the contract. If you have access to someone with production experience (broadcast or streamed church, PS/college scholastic sports, TV/CATV/SATV, VLOG, etc.), access may be easier.

I'm looking at a 66' Mustang, and the guy says he has a 351c block stroked to a 460. I had a hard time believing that, thinking a 408 was the largest, so decided to do some quick research.

The only kit I found that can actually get 460 cubes out of a 351 block is a world products "man-O-war" stroker kit, but you need the WP block which has extra meat and a relocated cam position.

I asked this guy if the block was an actual Ford Cleveland block, and if he used stock sized timing chains, thinking that if he said yes to either then there is no way it could be a 460. He did confirm that it's a real Cleveland block (strike one), and would get back to me on the chain size.

All this aside, looking to get feedback and see if there are any stroker kits I didn't find that will allow a 351 to be stroked to a 460.

·
Registered
61 Posts

almost anything can be done with money/time... but trying/stroking a 9.2 deck 351C block to 451/461ci is moronic.

there is Not enough deck height in a 9.2" or 9.5" tall block with canted valves to keep a decent rod ratio which is super important

the bore is another issue with factory blocks, boring .30 over is pushing factory blocks to the limit

the only suitable block out now for 451/461 ci with canted valve heads is the >SM 351 9.750 Block<

·
Registered
3 Posts

You want high rpm stability? Take a Dart block with 2.75" mains, which is ready for a 4.125 bore (has to be honed out to the advertised 4.125" BUT can be bored larger too...). It has extra heavy stabilizing webbing and 3 steel 4 bolt mains- making your reliability issues history. Also the oiling system feeds the mains first. Without boring it larger you could stroke it to 426ci (same bore and stroke as a Chrysler 426) with a 4.0 stroker kit (commonly misnomered as a 427) or create a 454ci with a 4.25 stroker crank setup. Again that is without overboring the block - which does have alot of extra meat on it. There are several builders offering complete stroker shortbiocks for under $6k with the Dart block. FYI: the the 60s Ford FE 427 that many think of when "427" is mentioned had a 4.2328" bore x 3.784" stroke but suffered from very poor head flow even on their High rise head. (Not a Cleveland problem...) The tunnel port introduce in the late 60s was a big improvement but is rarely found, as it was used on the SOHC 427 motor of the Lemans Ford GT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BE-AWARE DART blocks have had an unaddressed CRACKING iusse that started in 2006 that NO internet Dart Dealer has ever addressed yet on any forums.

internet dart dealers just keep telling guys/suckers with cracked dart bocks to... "just buy another one" and threaten/bash/lie about other companys products.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts