Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it turns out, my buddy is in contention for the championship in his mud racing class. Problem is that he blew up his 460 and he didn't know he was in contention for the title until yesterday. There is one race left on November 18th. He just has to make the top 5. Problem is that he doesn't have an engine. Would it be worth his while to use my closed chamber 4bbl 351 cleveland heads and strip dominator intake on his 400M shortblock? He should be able to round up a cam in time for the meet. I saw how the truck did with the old 400M and it was not very good. His 460 consistanly put him in the top 5. Will these Cleveland heads, intake and a big cam be good enough to get the job done? Need answers as quick as possible. Parts take a while to get to Wyoming.

The 460 looked somethig like this in a 78 F250

10.5 to 1
DOVE heads with some minor port work
Comp Cams 294S
Stealth Intake
850 Holley

Should he just step aside and let a Chevy walk away with his trophy?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'd say go for it! Sounds like you'll have very little invested other than some time and money for head gaskets and other small items. I don't think you'd be down on THAT much power compared to the 460... worse case maybe half as much, but with mudding half the job is just in the truck and tires, the other half is power, right? Worse case, you go home without a trophy but still have some fun (well, assuming nothing breaks, that is, lol)

·
Registered
728 Posts
What went wrong with old motor? Maybe find a used 460 shortblock and throw his stuff on it and let it fly? Or are the heads messed up? I think this would be the quickest way.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2006-11-07 10:24, BLstangin wrote:
What went wrong with old motor? Maybe find a used 460 shortblock and throw his stuff on it and let it fly? Or are the heads messed up? I think this would be the quickest way.
He managed to get his hands on another 460, so it looks like he's gonna go with that. I'd have liked to see what the Cleveland parts would have done for him. He didn't want to deal with the nickel and dime business of putting something together with borrowed parts I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts