Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a later 390 (1968) into my 61 Galaxie, and would like to hook it to the original cruise-o-matic. It was originally a 352 car.

Do I want to use the flexplate from the early trans, or the later motor.

Do I need to change the balancer of anything else to mate these two?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
I am installing a later 390 (1968) into my 61 Galaxie, and would like to hook it to the original cruise-o-matic. It was originally a 352 car.

Do I want to use the flexplate from the early trans, or the later motor.

Do I need to change the balancer of anything else to mate these two?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

I hooked a 59 MX Cruisomatic to a 1974 390, no problemos. 61 flexplate should bolt right up but look at the 68 and if it looks the same it probably is.

I put an engine plate in there and it works ok but lately I've been thinking Cruiso's that old used a rubber seal that fits around the starter instead. Look at your bellhousing and see if it looks like it is cut out for a seal. Probably doesn't matter, don't think you could find one anyway!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Use the 61 flex plate. If you use the 68 flex plate you have to use the 68 starter. The two flex plates have different teeth count for the starter. Also the 61 bellhousing uses the rubber seal and no engine plate between the engine and trans. Ford didn't start using the engine plate 'til 1963.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts