Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone....,I've retored Mustangs most of my life until the motorcycle bug got me a few years ago. I think I'm ready to move back inside now and have a question I know you can answer. I have the opportunity to purchase a solid 1965 Falcon 2 door and was curious if it was feasible to go with a late model Mustang drive train [2005 or newer] or keep it old school. I do have some mechanical skills but know it's easier to learn from someone who has done this before. Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
If you're talking about simply dropping in a newer Ford mod motor the answer is no. Now, if money is no object that answer can always be turned into a yes, but you're talking LOTS of work including cutting out the shock towers, all new front suspension and fabricating your engine mounts. Those motors are also fuel injected and use a fuel return system I'm sure, so that means all new fuel system from tank to throttle body! It would be very cool but it seems like a whole lotta work to me.

Moving back to the transmission the same answer applies to some extent. Again, you're talking about fabricating new mounts/crossmember and maybe more cutting.

As far as the rearend goes that will be somewhat easier, if they're the same overall width. If not, it's back to cutting the housing and possibly new axles if they can't respline them. You'll also need to do some fabricating to get the brakes online but that isn't too hard.

I'd stick with a 5.0 (old school type) and whatever transmission you decide on and maybe the 8.8" rearend if it fits. Everything except the rearend will be will be a bolt-in with stock Ford parts.

John

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
You could go Mustang II IFS, like a Rod & Custom motorsports IFS.

Just time and money, you could probably mod and use some of the parts from the mustang.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Is it already a V8? Not so clear in your description.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts