Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Will work on other Classic Ford Engines, but to be more specific, this retrofit was done on a 1971 Ford Mustang with 351 Cleveland 4v, stock exhaust manifolds and C6 Automatic Transmission. I used a mini starter from a 2002 3.8l v6 Mustang with Automatic Overdrive transmission although you can find this same starter on many other Ford Models and years. Fits like a glove..Starts great and feels easier to start...Much lighter in weight...Much smaller in size...Less than 20min to install...New Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction (PMGR) Technology supposedly solves heat soak... I took the starter and stock wires from the 2002 and this made installation a breeze. The only wire I used from the stock 2002 harness was the white/red strip solenoid wire. If no wire harness available, then all you'll need is about 30" of 10awg wire and 2x eye/ring connectors to attach wire from firewall solenoid to starter solenoid. To dress the new 10awg wire, I use 1/4" asphalt wire loom. Here's how I wired it up:

Fat cable from firewall solenoid on "I" side terminal to starter was switched to "S" side terminal and now has constant 12V.

New white/red stripe wire from mini pmgr starter goes to "I" side terminal where fat starter cable use to be.

Side by Side Comparison..Mini Starter on Left and Old Heavy Style on Right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts