Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone test fitted newer wheels, like the 18" bullitts on an older Mustang. I've been told they won't fit without modification, so I'm wondering what that mod would be. Do they sit in too far in the rear due to their postive offset? Has anyone altered their rear wheeltub to make this work??? I doubt they stick out, but I could be wrong....Don't know, that's why I'm asking. What's the deal with front wheels, like 17x8 or 18x8's in the newer style???

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
The new Bullitt wheels have a backspacing of about 5.15". The 67-68 Mustangs like about 4.5" of backspacing. I have 16x8 rims up front. I should of gone with 17's. I currently have 225/50/16. I think I could of gone with 245/50/15 if I had rolled the fender lip. Out back I believe 275/50/15 are probally the biggest you can go. If you really want the newer style "stock" rims you will have to run a spacer. I have heard every thing from "It will be the death of you, if you run a spacer!" and "Spacers?, sure go ahead it will cause no problems."

No I know no one that has modified their wheel tubs so that newer tires will fit. If someone did IMHO I believe it would not look good, if the rim was too far underneth the car.

I hope this helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68 stang on 5/27/02 6:21am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Im runnin the 15'' polished tri stars off a 97 on my 71. I used a 40 mm wheel adapter from H&R to correct for the back spacing. They have held fine, with no problems at all, and Im the kinda driver that can kill anything that isnt close to bein bulletproof. The adapters are spendy though, figure 200 a pair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts