Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks from now I'll be dropping in my "PONY1 SPECIAL" motor in my 83'GT. It's to consist of a 408 putting out about 625+HP @6500/6800rpm. 10.5/1 motor on pump93 w/ a splash of AVgas. The last time I drove the car though was about 8+ yrs ago. Back then it had 12.5/1 351Clevor4V that ran a best of [email protected] 123 on a 30X9. My car is pretty much setup stock in appearance with the exception of some premo parts such as a Alston 8pt rollcage. Currie 9inch "N" case rearend narrowed 1in from stock. MW 35 spline axle's and spool. The spool is coming out and I just found a 35 spline Detroit Locker for it, finally
. I'm also changing the 4.88's for some 3.73's to. It's also got a Richmond 5speed w/Scattershield. Back then the car would never hookup. I was attempting to drive this car around on the street on the weekends. It was never much of that. I honestly can't remember the 60ft's but I know they sucked hard. With my new setup I've added an aluminum flywheel and I'm going back to 28X10inch slicks. I've read now that there are cars running 8's on 28's with stock suspensions. The suspension in my car is basically stock but I'm open to making changes to help this anyway without tearing the car up. I'm looking to run 130+. What's some of the parts that some of these guys are using to get down the track like that. Thanks for any help and reading through this disaster

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On 2002-04-05 07:29, chilly460 wrote:
I took some time to look at suspensions for the Fox body when I was buying parts for my '86 Capri. Basically, you want to take bind out of the rear suspension, and get rid of the soft bushings. I went with all Heim jointed rear control arms, they're double adjustable so I'll be able to control pinion angle. You can get bars with hard poly bushings too. Or, you can look in the archives, the guys did a nice article on boxing the stock arms to stiffen them up.

Also, you'll want an air bag in the right rear to reduce torque-over. A step up from that is sort of a "new" development for Fox bodies. I saw a lot of clean running cars using a torsion type swaybar setup in the rear. It's a heavy wall tube with arms that connect to the axle with heim jointed links. It doesn't let the car torque-over, and the heim joints let you preload side to side. I've bought one of these as well.

As for frontend, most guys were just running 90/10 drag struts and 4cyl springs, nothing fancy. If you really want to step up, they make affordable coilover kits that are adjustable.
I've heard of this device your talking about I think , does it connect from the rearend to some point under the driver ? I read most of the new mags and I'm sure if I've seen it advertised in them. Its probably a race only think thats why I haven't seen it. I've also seen a couple of "complete" tubular "K" member setups w/ coilovers. Would switching the a coil over setup take away from streetabilty? Are they safe for street/ high speed highway driving ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts