Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would a leaf spring calapse overnight? Really not even that long. The car was fine and then I put a jack under the rear to lift it for an hour or so and the when I let it down the springs droped 2"!!! I've run this set up for about 2 years but most of the time the car has been holding down the garage floor. These are 5 leafs to boot, they are monsterously stiff.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both sides at the same time. Like their expiration date was up.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Sure it was the springs, it didnt crash thru the rear frame and shackles did it. How old are the springs?

Rick

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
By some chance do you have spring lift perches? They may have rotated on you inboard.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope every thing looks good. Nothing looks out of whack just the arch fell out of the springs. Almost totaly flat. The springs are 2 years old but the car has been sitting most of the time. I've only used 5 tanks of gas in the last 2 years. I've kinda been busy lately.

Wierdest thing, jacked the car up by the pig so I could put the seats back in, put it back down and the 2" gap I had in the wheel well was gone. I am using 1" drop spacers though but, they have been on for 2 years also.
I did do a little burny the other night and the rearend started hopping even with Comp eng. tration bars.

Here is another question. Of course when it dropped I got tire rub on the drivers side with people in the back. The rear end seems to be longer on the drivers side than the passenger side. Why? Or is the rear hung off center?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts