Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color="blue">I'd like to change out the factory leafsprings in my '67 stang. I'd like a lower ride height and stiffer bushings. The stang only sees strip duty. Are there springs from any other cars that will swap in? Can I remove leafs from the factory bundle? Or do I need to go aftermarket? If so, who's sells what?Thanks guys</font>

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can get reverse eye leaf springs in different spring rates from Mustangs Plus,
Sacramento Mustang, and Maier racing to name
a few...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Try to find a place that sell, and re-springs springs. I know at West Sacramento Spring Works, they'll take your old leaf springs, and treat them to put the correct tension back in them, add or remove leaves, for a price thats cheaper than going to a junk yard. Thats what I plan to do since unless the springs are cracked, or heavily rusted, they can be redone.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Since we don't know where you're from, I can't give you specific shop names. Many spring shops in Calif can re-arch and reverse eye your springs. You can add or reduce the number of leafs. Remember the leaf forward of the axle acts as a traction bar. If you want a softer ride, remove the leaf to the rear of center.

Many spring rate leafs were available for the early Mustang. Take your pick on firmness.

For a track only car I would make a set of aluminum bushings to eliminate flex at least in the front spring eyes.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
All the magazines have advertisements for new leaf springs. Joe might be right, see if your local spring shop can get them cheaper or have yours redone. Lowering the car 1" can be as easy as a set of lowering blocks. If you are looking to purchase new springs, as said before, you can buy them with the eye relocated for different ride height. If you are only going to race the car you can install solid bushings in the spring eye, but they aren't veryu good for the street. I have urethane bushings installed in my 5 leaf springs and they are plenty stiff for me.
Dallas Mustang $159 whole kit {shakles,ubolts and eye bolts)
American Pony $87 stock, $110 5 leaf, $120 5 leaf mid eye option lowers 1" $40 for the shackel and bolt kit
Mustangs Plus $169 stock whole kit
Mustangs Unlimited $120 just leafs
I bought mine from Canadian Mustangs a couple years ago for $110 for a 5 leaf then they converted it to US dollars and it was like $80.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts