Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to fix the notorious leak from the windshields of the Mustangs and Cougars? I've had about 4 different companies try to stop the leaks from both windows, and all have failed. I've had both windows out, and I have rebuilt the rusted out parts of the windshield frame with fiberglass, and ground it all down and sprayed rust inhibitor, and have fixed the cowl (can hold a hose in the cowl for an hour without a drop in the car). Any thoughts???

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I had the windsheild in my mustang resealed(the previous owner replaced the windshield and not the rubber gasket)So I bought a new gasket and dropped the car off.The guy at the glass shop said he had to use tons of sealer around the gasket.he said there are 3 layers of steel that all come together along the bottom of the windshield and some cars are very roughly welded together in this area.Anyway the windshield didn't leak when he was done.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe the shops in my area are just morons. I'll have to keep looking I guess. Nobody will guarantee their work on these cars around here.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The rear window in my '69 sits in a rubber gasket that the sheetmetal fits into. We used some 3M black automotive weatherstripping adhesive to seal the gasket around where the interior/exterior of the sheet metal goes into the gasket. As for the front windshield, you should find someone that is experienced with older cars. I believe the installation of the windshields is different from older to newer cars, including the type of weatherstripping material to use.
Good luck
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.