Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the right way is to remove the hood, front 1/4s, and windshield and then break through the welds and repair/replace the metal inside, remembering to prime it this time around.

Do I have any other options? Can I do a "makeshift" repair from the inside? I was planning on replacing the gaskets on my heater system so I was wondering with the proper tools can I "repair" a leaky cowl. I realize it would still leak from the outside but I was thinking about installing a rubber hose or two to allow the water to escape either rerouting it back through the firewall or through the floorboards or even use a bottle that I could dump occasionally and hang it from underneath the dash.

This car is a daily driver, I will never put it in front of judges so the fact that I would fix it the "wrong" way doesn't matter to me.

Ideas? I'm tired of having soaked feet everytime I make a right turn in the rain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have seen those covers but all are listed for 64-66 & 67/68, not sure if they are available for a 1970 because of the wipers. Otherwise I would have went with the cover right away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
1970 Mustang? Hmmm... I was under the impression that the cowls onthose did not leak...

Where is the leak coming in?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I thought in 69 and up the cowl was removable from the outside with out removing the windshield or front fenders, and they are screwed on not spot welded. At least that is the way my friends 70 Boss 302 was.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You will need to locate the leak before you can fix it. My 65 Mustang had a leak that I thought was around the round air vents, but it turned out to be water weeping in from the very edge where the cowl assembly is spot welded to the lower fender supports, turned out to be sloppy body seam sealer installation. Lots of work,but we got it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if the cowl is removable then I will definately go that route. Yes I know supposedly the cowls were primed after 69. As for where the leak is comming from, I presumed the cowl because I can reproduce it by pouring some water into it. The water leaks from under the dash on either side very close to the firewall, most noticable when making turns.

Thank you all for your answers, sorry very new to Mustangs and I'm learning slowly but it sure is nice to turn heads in my 70 Mustang. Of course the best was going to a drive-thru one day when it was raining and the guy said to me, you shouldn't be driving your car in the rain, I replied, why is it a witch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts