Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Ford Lover,

My wife and I have owned our 65 Mustang since 1992. In that time, we've noticed a worsening trend of leakage into the car during heavy rain storms.

We've bought a plastic cowl cover which has helped, but hasn't stopped the leakage.

I've heard that the windows might be a major source of leakage and I'm going to try and seal them with some sort of RTV or sealer (anyone have any recommendations on what to use?).

Other than the cowl and windows, what else is know to leak on these cars?

I've got to do something, because after torrential downpours we've got to break out the shop vac to suck out all the water!!!

I appreciate any help you all can provide.
Thanks,
Gerald.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You hit too broad of a base.

Is the water coming in the front or the back? Maybe from the doors? I have a fastback, and it was coming in the cast air scoops in the rear.

Wm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is parked at a slightly upward angle in the driveway and it seems that water will pool both in front of and behind the driver's seat.

I'm not sure what the cast air scoops are. Are the chrome peices that are right behind the doors?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Sounds like you have the classic rusty cowl. You'll need to get the heater and driver vent removed and inspect the "tophats" to see if they are rusted out. There are repair parts for them Also you'll need to inspect the cowl itself for rust through. that is a more involved repair

The rubber gasket for the windshield may be cracked and leaking too.

best way to find what is leakin is get inside and hve someone pour water in the cowl and window area and watch for leask. Good Luck

stu

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Take a flashlight and look up under the dash. Look for a rust trail from the water. Check your cowling drains to they might be plugged and helping the rust. Pull the carpet back in the foot areas and see if there holes somewhere the water might be running down and then in at a hole in the firewall area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts