Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
When I take my old stock leaf spring GMC to the track, I found that I need to launch it at about the same RPM and technique as I would starting from a stop sign. Once the wheels are turning, then I floor it.

What traction devices are you using? A pair of adjustable shocks can help prevent wheel hop. Stiffen them for the track, soften them for the street. You can get the 9 way Calverts (AKA Rancho's) for about $100 apiece, which could end up much cheaper than the damage the wheel hop can cause.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Some pretty good axle hop but it felt like it was running out of fuel in 3rd and 4th gears. I didn't have my a/f meter hooked up so I'm not sure.
Read the plugs.

You might try spring clamps on the front half of the leafs to dampen wheel-hop - but do something. As Dennis said, hop can do some serious damage real quick.

David

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I just sprang for some Calverts. I don't have anything to address traction at the moment. I don't race enough to warrant much, but I'm also looking to sort out the rear suspension for the street. The shocks sound like they could help both areas. AZ shows to have some spring clamps in stock, if they really do I'll pick them up tomorrow.

Wish I had thought to read the plugs, but it had been a long night. Nostalgia nats are in about two months and I'll hopefully get a few more runs (1/8) to work on things.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
As David mentioned, clamping the springs is a low buck option that could help, although being a stick car I might be more inclined to locate a set of slapper traction bars instead. Even the basic ones should help.

If you poke around some you will find that there is a wide selection of traction bars available, with the higher cost ones giving some measure of adjustment for tunability. Those are probably more than what you want for a mostly street vehicle but they do work well for an experienced racer.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, AZ didn't have the clamps, but they did have some fuel cleaner that they promise will decarbonize my carburetor. I'll hold off for now. The search continues. As far as traction bars, I'm open to that, I wouldn't mind putting together some per the tech articles, but I'll get the shocks on and go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts